Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a water sprayer from Northern Tool. It comes with jumper cable style clamps for battery. I wanted to convert them to a cigarette-style plug for the 12V accessory socket on the dash of the Mule. Salesman at Northern Tool told me accessory socket wires won't handle amperage of electric pump motor. I looked at owner's manual for water sprayer and it states 8 amp maximum draw. Does anyone know how many amps the Kawasaki dash 12V socket can handle and is it a fused circuit?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I purchased a water sprayer from Northern Tool. It comes with jumper cable style clamps for battery. I wanted to convert them to a cigarette-style plug for the 12V accessory socket on the dash of the Mule. Salesman at Northern Tool told me accessory socket wires won't handle amperage of electric pump motor. I looked at owner's manual for water sprayer and it states 8 amp maximum draw. Does anyone know how many amps the Kawasaki dash 12V socket can handle and is it a fused circuit?
10 amps max. Both my Brute force and my ZForce have their accessory plugs on a 10 amp fuse...and someone told me some time back. :)

It's probably going to get a little warm running 8 amps contently so I might be tempted to go another rout....maybe something simple like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Gauge-Quick-Disconnect-Harness/dp/B0057ZQJ12/ref=sr_1_16?crid=13P32KNHK3BB6&keywords=12+volt+plugs+and+connectors&qid=1559511682&s=gateway&sprefix=12+volt+plugs,aps,183&sr=8-16

·
Registered
68 Posts
What NWKAWIERIDER said! It has a 10 amp fuse. Wire in one of the connectors using the link he provided above. I have one attached to my battery and I also use it to plug in my Battery Tender float charger. We also have one on dad's machine and besides a trickle charger he also uses it for a sprayer. Not sure of the amps without looking but it works great and has never blown a fuse. We routed his to the rear rack so it's super quick and easy to swap out since we don't leave the sprayer on.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is 12AWG adequate for the amperage the pressure washer would draw (sprayer manual states max. of 8 amps)? My plan is to connect an SAE socket sidewall port (e.g., https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PN8P4JY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2GOQYAA08BU92&psc=1) to the battery and mount the circular plate on flat surface behind the battery/air filter cover. Not sure if to attach 10 amp fuse case on wire from battery or wire coming from sprayer.
Just looked at the link you sent and it says this in the description: "Cable max. rating: 10 Amp" So yes, it will support the 10 amps needed.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Is 12AWG adequate for the amperage the pressure washer would draw (sprayer manual states max. of 8 amps)? My plan is to connect an SAE socket sidewall port (e.g., https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PN8P4JY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2GOQYAA08BU92&psc=1) to the battery and mount the circular plate on flat surface behind the battery/air filter cover. Not sure if to attach 10 amp fuse case on wire from battery or wire coming from sprayer.
As long as it has a fuse between the battery and the load...but might consider weather it will get wet or be in harm's way.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don’t know how many amps the sprayer pulls but I run a 15 gal sprayer & a 25 gal sprayer out of my profxt with the cigarette lighter adapter. I haven’t had any problems. I’m not sure if it is because spraying is intermittent turning on & off so perhaps it doesn’t get hot. But I’ve had no problems. Good lick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mount the fuse/fuse holder close to the battery. For car audio the rule was 18” or less for the main or single fuse.
Just so it is clear, the idea behind getting close to the battery is that any wire between fuse and battery is NOT fused. If that section of wire gets scraped through the insulation by a metal body part, then its direct short to ground from Positive battery post.

As for the entire project, I would run 10 gauge wire. I would not use a 12 volt cig-style accessory socket. The contact points of that connector type are too poor for an 8 amp load.
10 gauge wire, fused as close to battery terminal as possible, with SAE connection should work great.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a northern tool ATV sprayer, (8 or 10gallons?, can't remember) and I just plug it into the cigarette lighter, and have no issues, and have never blown the fuse, for what it's worth.

The relay switch to my winch set up plugs into my cig lighter. I unplug it in the summer, so that it won't turn on accidentally.

I also have a cooler stereo that plugs into the cig lighter, and straps to the front or back of my ATV. VERY handy. Cold drinks and tunes. I'm glad I finally made one. I went the "no hole" route on the inside, so it keeps drinks and food cold. Couldn't be happier with it!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As for the entire project, I would run 10 gauge wire. I would not use a 12 volt cig-style accessory socket. The contact points of that connector type are too poor for an 8 amp load.
10 gauge wire, fused as close to battery terminal as possible, with SAE connection should work great.
I would use 10 gauge wire, but the best I can find with a fused weatherproof SAE sidewall socket port is 12 gauge. I think that should be adequate for running sprayer and attaching battery charger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would use 10 gauge wire, but the best I can find with a fused weatherproof SAE sidewall socket port is 12 gauge. I think that should be adequate for running sprayer and attaching battery charger.
12 gauge is probably adequate. Just feel your wires and fuse and connection points for unwanted heat after the pump has run for a bit. I just like to build in some extra margin. Especially since I often end up using connections like that for more/different accessories down the road. For instance, once you have the plug set up, you now have an easy way to plug in a low amp Battery Minder Charger.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It generally doesn't hurt to go heavy, but there is a danger involved.
But you still need to keep some perspective.

I have the Northern Tool ATV sprayer we are discussing, and the wire harness on the sprayer itself are only 16 gauge, or maybe even 18 ga. Depending on your ATV, the wire on the unit should be long enough to reach your battery with NO extension wires needed. If so, put a fuse on the positive and two ring terminals - done. No extension wire is always best.

The motor has a max of 8 amps, but it runs at 3-4 amps under most circumstances. I've been using mine for years. It does not get hot, and it does not have any issues.

And one thing to consider if you go with heavy, 10 gauge wire... IF you get a rub or a nick or a short in the wire somehow, 10 gauge transfers a LOT of current. Enough to do very serious damage to your machine.

Whatever you do, make sure it's properly fused, according to the load, not the wire.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It generally doesn't hurt to go heavy, but there is a danger involved.
But you still need to keep some perspective.

I have the Northern Tool ATV sprayer we are discussing, and the wire harness on the sprayer itself are only 16 gauge, or maybe even 18 ga. Depending on your ATV, the wire on the unit should be long enough to reach your battery with NO extension wires needed. If so, put a fuse on the positive and two ring terminals - done. No extension wire is always best.

The motor has a max of 8 amps, but it runs at 3-4 amps under most circumstances. I've been using mine for years. It does not get hot, and it does not have any issues.

And one thing to consider if you go with heavy, 10 gauge wire... IF you get a rub or a nick or a short in the wire somehow, 10 gauge transfers a LOT of current. Enough to do very serious damage to your machine.

Whatever you do, make sure it's properly fused, according to the load, not the wire.
Thill,
Thanks very much for the input. I want to put a weatherproof SAE side socket port on flat area of body panel immediately behind battery. Wire to battery will be inside compartment that houses battery and way out of harms way regarding getting nicked. This external port will allow a very short line from the ATV sprayer and during winter provide easy attachment of a battery trickle charger or any future implement I might want to power. I'll just purchase an appropriate gauge wire with SAE connections on both ends and solder in a fuse holder. The OEM connector has an on/off switch, but unless I'm missing something I really don't see the necessity of it. When the sprayer is not in use I'll just disconnect attachment.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That sounds like a good plan, not just for the sprayer, but for anything you may want to connect in the future, like a 12V air pump or a secondary light bar or whatever. Take your time and do a nice, clean install and it will be a useful feature to have on your machine.

Just today, I rigged a very similar fused plug to power my cooler stereo. That way, I can power it while leaving the cig lighter open for other uses.

Best wishes, and a quick install!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
thill
Kawasaki ATV Forum
KawieRiders.com is the largest Kawasaki ATV owner's forum with information for the Kawasaki KFX700, Brute Force, Prairie, Bayou, Mojave, Lakota and older model Kawasaki ATV's!
Full Forum Listing