Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

How to build your own fiberglass hood.

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Assault 700 
#1 ·
Alot of you are interested in an aftermarket hood and are getting tired of waiting on someone to build them. I wish I had more time to make the hoods, but time is a precious thing that I just won't have until after the holidays. If you guys knew how easy it is to make these yourselves, you would be really surprised! It's alot easier than you think. Here's a quick overview of how to make it.

Materials you will need.

1. Masking tape- To protect the finish of your origional hood
2. craft clay- can be found at any hobby shop
3. Fiberglass cloth- Auto parts store
4. Fiberglass resin & hardener- Auto parts store
5. Glazing & spot puddy-Auto parts store
6. Primer and paint of your choice

Procedure.

1. Remove origional hood and cover entirely with masking tape to protect the finish.

2. Place generous amount of craft clay on top of hood and mould a design of your choice using your hands. Any straight edge like a ruler will be helpful in getting bumps or imperfections out of the clay. "Remember your imagination is the limit when designing the scoop"

3. After the clay hardens a little "About 3 hours", Use a brush to spread the fiberglass resin onto the clay.

4. Lay fiberglass cloth on top of the resin and make sure to get out any wrinkles and cut off any excess cloth hanging off edges.

5. Spread another coat of resin on the top of the cloth and repeat. The more layers of cloth, the stronger it will be. I used 3 layers.

6. Let the resin cure overnight. When completely cured, you should be able to remove the origional hood from underneath the clay and fiberglass.

7. Use a spoon to scrape the clay from underneath the hood.

8. Apply glazing & spot putty to any imperfections and sand to a smooth surface.

9. Use a drill to make mounting holes I used long machine screws/washers/ nuts to mount.

10. Primer & paint!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Man that is pretty cool that you would tell everybody how to make their own hood when you could build a bunch and make money on them. I think that is awesome and a trait you don't find in too many people anymore.

Thanks,

Brian

#4 ·
Thanks guy's..

Unfortunatly I don't have a didital camera yet "are you listening Santa?" but hopefully soon after the holidays I'll be taking pictures and making hoods for anyone who's still interested.

#7 ·
Alot of you are interested in an aftermarket hood and are getting tired of waiting on someone to build them. I wish I had more time to make the hoods, but time is a precious thing that I just won't have until after the holidays. If you guys knew how easy it is to make these yourselves, you would be really surprised! It's alot easier than you think. Here's a quick overview of how to make it.

Materials you will need.

1. Masking tape- To protect the finish of your origional hood
2. craft clay- can be found at any hobby shop
3. Fiberglass cloth- Auto parts store
4. Fiberglass resin & hardener- Auto parts store
5. Glazing & spot puddy-Auto parts store
6. Primer and paint of your choice

Procedure.

1. Remove origional hood and cover entirely with masking tape to protect the finish.

2. Place generous amount of craft clay on top of hood and mould a design of your choice using your hands. Any straight edge like a ruler will be helpful in getting bumps or imperfections out of the clay. "Remember your imagination is the limit when designing the scoop"

3. After the clay hardens a little "About 3 hours", Use a brush to spread the fiberglass resin onto the clay.

4. Lay fiberglass cloth on top of the resin and make sure to get out any wrinkles and cut off any excess cloth hanging off edges.

5. Spread another coat of resin on the top of the cloth and repeat. The more layers of cloth, the stronger it will be. I used 3 layers.

6. Let the resin cure overnight. When completely cured, you should be able to remove the origional hood from underneath the clay and fiberglass.

7. Use a spoon to scrape the clay from underneath the hood.

8. Apply glazing & spot putty to any imperfections and sand to a smooth surface.

9. Use a drill to make mounting holes I used long machine screws/washers/ nuts to mount.

10. Primer & paint!!!
Hey man do you have pictures of the finished product of ur custom hood going to be looking into making my own soon since I can find a company that’s wants to make them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.