Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I've got a 2009 Mule 4010 and it's got rough idling (no surprise, it seems). I'd like to clean the throttle body, but I have a bunch of questions that I cannot for the life of me seem to find the answers to. Ideally, i'd love to see some instructions/youtube on how to clean the throttle body, but since there doesn't seem to be any, here are my questions:

1. I understand to spray cleaner in the air intake..but do i simply spray the air filter part, or take off the entire hose and spray directly into the throttle body where the hose enters the body?

2. Is this this an electronically operated valve body or manual? from what i can find online, if it's electronic, you cannot/should not manually open the valve...so how do you do it? Some things I read says to press the accelerator all the way down...

3. Should all this cleaning be done with the engine running or off?

4. is it literally as simple as spraying cleaner in the air intake? i.e. there's nothing to disassemble/remove but possibly removing the air hose?

Finally, I do understand that some people say to actually remove the throttle body to clean it. I was planning on doing the above "easy" method first, and then if that doesn't improve things, to remove it. Are there any instructions for removing it? is that is difficult thing, or just "a few screws"? anything to be careful about?

I'm very handy, just never done this before and I want to make sure I do it right.

Thank You,
Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

I've got a 2009 Mule 4010 and it's got rough idling (no surprise, it seems). I'd like to clean the throttle body, but I have a bunch of questions that I cannot for the life of me seem to find the answers to. Ideally, i'd love to see some instructions/youtube on how to clean the throttle body, but since there doesn't seem to be any, here are my questions:

1. I understand to spray cleaner in the air intake..but do i simply spray the air filter part, or take off the entire hose and spray directly into the throttle body where the hose enters the body?

2. Is this this an electronically operated valve body or manual? from what i can find online, if it's electronic, you cannot/should not manually open the valve...so how do you do it? Some things I read says to press the accelerator all the way down...

3. Should all this cleaning be done with the engine running or off?

4. is it literally as simple as spraying cleaner in the air intake? i.e. there's nothing to disassemble/remove but possibly removing the air hose?

Finally, I do understand that some people say to actually remove the throttle body to clean it. I was planning on doing the above "easy" method first, and then if that doesn't improve things, to remove it. Are there any instructions for removing it? is that is difficult thing, or just "a few screws"? anything to be careful about?

I'm very handy, just never done this before and I want to make sure I do it right.

Thank You,
Mark
Do a YouTube search for "cleaning 4010 mule throttle body". Automotive throttle bodies are the same principle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Once it is clean, consider installing an oil catch canister in the hose between the crankcase vent and the throttle body. It would have been a few added dollars for Kawasaki to do this preemptive bit, and it would require occasional emptying of collected oil, but it would have minimized throttle body sludge buildup and coking of pistons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once it is clean, consider installing an oil catch canister in the hose between the crankcase vent and the throttle body. It would have been a few added dollars for Kawasaki to do this preemptive bit, and it would require occasional emptying of collected oil, but it would have minimized throttle body sludge buildup and coking of pistons.
Yep! The oil catch canister is ordered and due to arrive on Monday! thanks.

I still don't really have a good idea about removing the throttle body and/or how easy or hard it is..or if it is even worth it. i'm afraid of breaking the whole thing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts