Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I recently brought an 04 kfx 700, and she will not stay crunk nor idle. I took the air filter off and one carb has black stuff all over it and the other one is clean as a whistle. I feel like it’s a clogged jet or worse maybe the cylinder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome! Odd to have black stuff on one carb opening. Maybe there's a chipped intake valve and it's blowing carbon back up into the carb? Only way to tell is opening up the top end. It's not difficult, just need a full set of metric sockets, some patience, and a repair guide. There are still physical copies of repair guides on eBay, used book stores, and sites like this for a premium ($50 - $100). Or, you can obtain a digital PDF copy (around $15) from sites like tradebit.com. I'm not affiliated with that website, it's just the only site where I've found legit early / vintage ATV and motorcycle repair guides.

So you'd be looking at taking the valve inspection covers off, along with the rocker box covers up top (be sure to set the cylinder you're working on to top dead center before un-bolting) and just start investigating everything until you determine what's wrong or damaged.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts