Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had cleaded out the carb again, did wat all u guys said to and it ran ok. today i go to take it for a ride up and down my block and i notices a funny idle again.... this time wen u let stand still, it idles a littls high and slowly drops rmps. then goes to a low idle, and dies, then wen u go to start it again, its a bitch to start, wen u fisrt start it wen its cold it start 2nd somes times 3rd kick, wen its warm and u stall or it dies out from low idle, it takes like a million kicks. any sugestions?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Are your valves adjusted? That can really mess things up. There's also a tiny o-ring under the air/fuel screw on the bottom of the carb. I had one that ripped and it caused tuning problems too. Don't forget to check the carb mounting boot for cracks. Just a little air leak on the engine side will make the idle jump all over.

Just as a first guess I'd be thinking the valves are out of adjustment. If they are too tight, the intakes hang partially open too long. It will get worse when warm, because metal expands. They could be close and still start, but get worse after you let it run.

·
Registered
102 Posts
so i had cleaded out the carb again, did wat all u guys said to and it ran ok. today i go to take it for a ride up and down my block and i notices a funny idle again.... this time wen u let stand still, it idles a littls high and slowly drops rmps. then goes to a low idle, and dies, then wen u go to start it again, its a bitch to start, wen u fisrt start it wen its cold it start 2nd somes times 3rd kick, wen its warm and u stall or it dies out from low idle, it takes like a million kicks. any sugestions?
Def sounds like a valve problem. I just had to get mine replaced about 1.5 months ago. intake valve was bent from being adjusted wrong and also timing spring on the adjustment was all out of whack. I suggest downloading the repaire manual for your bike and reading up Did you soak the metal parts and the main unit of the carb in carb and choke or pinesol for at least 12 hours? thats what i did then blasted all the ports dry with about 100 psi of air.

EDIT: Also your throttle cable could be stretched or the bolt on the housing for the spring mechanism for your throttle could be too tight. Take off the cover with the bike running and rev it and see if it returns to the idle screw or gets hung up and slowly falls to the screw or not

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had adjusted al the valves abt 3 weeks ago. and there was one valve that was sketchy, i realy didnt seem to adjust, so i said fuck it put the cover on and it fired right up. but i havnt checked the o-rings, and yeah i soaked everything, and blew everything out

·
Registered
102 Posts
Like MM said that little O ring on the pilot screw is important and can rip the first time you put it on if you dont put it on in the right sequence with the tension spring and washer. how long did you soak the carb?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
What didn't adjust on the valve? It's possible they are worn and pulled up into the head and too far gone to adjust. The intakes were weak on these and needed to be adjusted often. I used to check them every race and have to adjust them every 2 or 3 on the stock one. My race one has stainless intake valves that don't have that problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts