Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded for a Vforce and now it won't start. When I got it, I changed the oil/filter, cleaned air filter and changed the plugs. I rode it twice just around the yard with my daughter and now it won't start. It turns over good, but it just won't fire. I did the plug wire mod and it still don't fire. Any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
733 Posts
You said that it was an ignition problem. Have you checked for spark? If you don't have spark then check to see if you have power and ground to the coil.

I had a similar problem before and it turned out to be a screw had fallen into the carb and held the intake valve open so I had no compression on one cylinder (hard to tell unless you have the heads off).

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
no spark--cdi
poor comperession[screw in intake------or
it just may need a valve adjustment.
Very common with the vtwins to have no start symptoms and just need a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds like the Valves to me......i just set mine on the weekend simple job to do if you take your time and have a service manual when your done it will start like a dream:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got it to start today....don't know what I did, but it runs now. I disconnected and reconnected the plugs and wires and it started. I decided to go ahead and clean the carbs good too. It is running rich and the front carb is popping a little.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
the front carb is popping and it's hard starting because the INTAKE valves are TOO TIGHT!! this causes low compression and hard starting as well as combustion igniting the fuel in the intake causing popping.

Adjust the valves and it'll be a new quad. if you don't, it'll just tulip the valves in the heads like it's already doing.

guaranteed that's your problem. every V has this problem at 1 time or another

John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i went ahead and took the carbs out and cleaned them. I noticed the front jet was 142 and the rear 135. Can anyone tell me it this right? I have a K&N, DG Excalibor slip-on and I'm in middle GA. Oh...and the it is still making the popping sound, so I maybe tomorrow I can adjust the valves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts