Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread recently discussing changing out the stock with an IMS tank---Someone chimed in and said don't forget you have to cut the plastics----Anyone know what he meant by that---Can't find the thread---Will be changing mine out soon and just wondering---Thanks

Kenny

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
I think they were talking about The tank with a dry break.

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
Some say so

However I use an IMS tank if I fill it dry I can put exactly 5 gallons in it

when I filled it and the V was still running I out 4.8 gallons back in it with unmodded pump

so I dont know

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
The older tanks that were first put out, people said they couldn't get that last .5 gal. That is when they started modifying the fuel pump pickup to reach that last bit of fuel.

IMS changed the size to 4.0, but it was the same tank as the labeled 4.6.. Like Raw said, you get every bit of 5 gallons in it. And I also had no issues of not being able to get to that last .5 gal.

There was a batch that were warped and wouldn't seal around the fuel pump properly and would leak. So be mindful of that.

The trimming of the plastic would of been around the filler neck area. The normal tank fit in, but you remove that plastic tank guard. If you have aftermarket shocks, keep an eye on it. they can rub on the tank.

I heard IMS isn't making this tank anymore..

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
The clear (white) IMS tank is the one with the problem. I had one with an aluminum filler (instead of the drybreak) and it would not fit without trimming the plastic. You could trim the plastic and you couldn't see it under the gas cover, but I don't use a cover, so I just went with the black IMS (fit perfectly).

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The clear (white) IMS tank is the one with the problem. I had one with an aluminum filler (instead of the drybreak) and it would not fit without trimming the plastic. You could trim the plastic and you couldn't see it under the gas cover, but I don't use a cover, so I just went with the black IMS (fit perfectly).

Mine is black---So hopefully will bolt right in---Thanks

Kenny

·
Registered
478 Posts

Kenny
thats the one i sold you right, kenny? if it is i took it off my bike and it will work perfectly. i did the fuel pump mod on my pump. all you do is cut the factory zip tie and add a little longer piece of hose. that puts the pump further down. might need to reroute the wire. you will see after you get your pump out what need done to get it further down.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Kenny
thats the one i sold you right, kenny? if it is i took it off my bike and it will work perfectly. i did the fuel pump mod on my pump. all you do is cut the factory zip tie and add a little longer piece of hose. that puts the pump further down. might need to reroute the wire. you will see after you get your pump out what need done to get it further down.

Hey guy---Yeah it's the one I got from you---Got a gas cap but never got around to installing it---Gonna do it next week---Thanks for posting up

Kenny

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone have a pic of how they extended the fuel pump down---I'm holding it in my hand and the only possible way I could see would be to somehow find something the same shape as the little filter---Put that in where the filter goes and attach the filter to that----The stock is 8" deep and the IMS is 9" deep---So fuel pump at 8", (stock length) isn't going to do you any good:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Also---Do you have to remove all the black plastic that is attched to the frame and surrounds the stock tank---Thanks

Kenny

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
I don't know about extending the pickup, but you do have to remove the stock black plastic tank cover before installing the IMS tank.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of how they extended the fuel pump down---I'm holding it in my hand and the only possible way I could see would be to somehow find something the same shape as the little filter---Put that in where the filter goes and attach the filter to that----The stock is 8" deep and the IMS is 9" deep---So fuel pump at 8", (stock length) isn't going to do you any good:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Also---Do you have to remove all the black plastic that is attched to the frame and surrounds the stock tank---Thanks

Kenny
Kenny, Just take your pump out and do what i said in the above post. you will see what im talking about after you get the pump out.:D

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
CheapCycleParts.com's 2007 Kawasaki ATV KFX700 (KSV700A7F) Parts List

The above pic is the same fuel pump that is in mine---The flat piece at the bottom is the screen/filter and doesn't it suck the fuel in there----Cutting or losening those ties won't, (can't) lower the inlet and filter---They are embedded in the steel frame:hmm::hmm:

2qk---Maybe your drinking too much Florida Citrus:p

Kenny

·
Registered
478 Posts
CheapCycleParts.com's 2007 Kawasaki ATV KFX700 (KSV700A7F) Parts List

The above pic is the same fuel pump that is in mine---The flat piece at the bottom is the screen/filter and doesn't it suck the fuel in there----Cutting or losening those ties won't, (can't) lower the inlet and filter---They are embedded in the steel frame:hmm::hmm:

2qk---Maybe your drinking too much Florida Citrus:p

Kenny
Im telling you Kenny i made my screen touch the bottom of the tank. you have to add a piece of hose to make that happen. Take your pump out and you will see what im talking about, in the mean time i will go get a glass of Florida Citrus. LOL.:lol:

·
Premium Member
942 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hey Rotty--Well I stuck it in there with out extending it---Rode it til the red light came on---Siphoned the remaining gas out---There is just under 2 gallons of gas left in it after the light goes on----So that means I'll be riding another 30-40 miles with the light on.

That seems like a good enough reason to extend it:p If I can figure out what in the world 2Qk is talking about---Guess if I drink some of whatever he's drinking I'll see it:p

Kenny

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Hey Rotty--Well I stuck it in there with out extending it---Rode it til the red light came on---Siphoned the remaining gas out---There is just under 2 gallons of gas left in it after the light goes on----So that means I'll be riding another 30-40 miles with the light on.

That seems like a good enough reason to extend it:p If I can figure out what in the world 2Qk is talking about---Guess if I drink some of whatever he's drinking I'll see it:p

Kenny
I'm thinking he is telling you to extend the fuel line from pump to carbs. That way it go down in the tank another inch or whatever you may need.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts