Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

IMS Tank

5K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Kenny4 
#1 ·
There was a thread recently discussing changing out the stock with an IMS tank---Someone chimed in and said don't forget you have to cut the plastics----Anyone know what he meant by that---Can't find the thread---Will be changing mine out soon and just wondering---Thanks

Kenny

#3 ·
I think they were talking about The tank with a dry break.

#7 ·
The older tanks that were first put out, people said they couldn't get that last .5 gal. That is when they started modifying the fuel pump pickup to reach that last bit of fuel.

IMS changed the size to 4.0, but it was the same tank as the labeled 4.6.. Like Raw said, you get every bit of 5 gallons in it. And I also had no issues of not being able to get to that last .5 gal.

There was a batch that were warped and wouldn't seal around the fuel pump properly and would leak. So be mindful of that.

The trimming of the plastic would of been around the filler neck area. The normal tank fit in, but you remove that plastic tank guard. If you have aftermarket shocks, keep an eye on it. they can rub on the tank.

I heard IMS isn't making this tank anymore..

#9 ·
The clear (white) IMS tank is the one with the problem. I had one with an aluminum filler (instead of the drybreak) and it would not fit without trimming the plastic. You could trim the plastic and you couldn't see it under the gas cover, but I don't use a cover, so I just went with the black IMS (fit perfectly).

#10 ·
Mine is black---So hopefully will bolt right in---Thanks

Kenny

#13 ·
Does anyone have a pic of how they extended the fuel pump down---I'm holding it in my hand and the only possible way I could see would be to somehow find something the same shape as the little filter---Put that in where the filter goes and attach the filter to that----The stock is 8" deep and the IMS is 9" deep---So fuel pump at 8", (stock length) isn't going to do you any good:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Also---Do you have to remove all the black plastic that is attched to the frame and surrounds the stock tank---Thanks

Kenny

#15 ·
Does anyone have a pic of how they extended the fuel pump down---I'm holding it in my hand and the only possible way I could see would be to somehow find something the same shape as the little filter---Put that in where the filter goes and attach the filter to that----The stock is 8" deep and the IMS is 9" deep---So fuel pump at 8", (stock length) isn't going to do you any good:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Also---Do you have to remove all the black plastic that is attched to the frame and surrounds the stock tank---Thanks

Kenny
Kenny, Just take your pump out and do what i said in the above post. you will see what im talking about after you get the pump out.:D

#16 · (Edited)
CheapCycleParts.com's 2007 Kawasaki ATV KFX700 (KSV700A7F) Parts List

The above pic is the same fuel pump that is in mine---The flat piece at the bottom is the screen/filter and doesn't it suck the fuel in there----Cutting or losening those ties won't, (can't) lower the inlet and filter---They are embedded in the steel frame:hmm::hmm:

2qk---Maybe your drinking too much Florida Citrus:p

Kenny

#17 ·
CheapCycleParts.com's 2007 Kawasaki ATV KFX700 (KSV700A7F) Parts List

The above pic is the same fuel pump that is in mine---The flat piece at the bottom is the screen/filter and doesn't it suck the fuel in there----Cutting or losening those ties won't, (can't) lower the inlet and filter---They are embedded in the steel frame:hmm::hmm:

2qk---Maybe your drinking too much Florida Citrus:p

Kenny
Im telling you Kenny i made my screen touch the bottom of the tank. you have to add a piece of hose to make that happen. Take your pump out and you will see what im talking about, in the mean time i will go get a glass of Florida Citrus. LOL.:lol:

#18 · (Edited)
#19 · (Edited)
Hey Rotty--Well I stuck it in there with out extending it---Rode it til the red light came on---Siphoned the remaining gas out---There is just under 2 gallons of gas left in it after the light goes on----So that means I'll be riding another 30-40 miles with the light on.

That seems like a good enough reason to extend it:p If I can figure out what in the world 2Qk is talking about---Guess if I drink some of whatever he's drinking I'll see it:p

Kenny

#20 ·
Hey Rotty--Well I stuck it in there with out extending it---Rode it til the red light came on---Siphoned the remaining gas out---There is just under 2 gallons of gas left in it after the light goes on----So that means I'll be riding another 30-40 miles with the light on.

That seems like a good enough reason to extend it:p If I can figure out what in the world 2Qk is talking about---Guess if I drink some of whatever he's drinking I'll see it:p

Kenny
I'm thinking he is telling you to extend the fuel line from pump to carbs. That way it go down in the tank another inch or whatever you may need.

#21 ·
This is turning into a riddle---Whose got the pics---I have no problem pulling the fuel pump back out and extending it once I see for sure how to do it.

Called IMS 1-951-653-7720---They said they had that problem in 03 when they made them---Said reason they went to black tank was cause people were seeing the gas in the tank that they weren't getting to use---They improved it a little so that with the stock pump you get to use exactly 4 gallons.

Kenny

#22 ·
This is turning into a riddle---Whose got the pics---I have no problem pulling the fuel pump back out and extending it once I see for sure how to do it.

Called IMS 1-951-653-7720---They said they had that problem in 03 when they made them---Said reason they went to black tank was cause people were seeing the gas in the tank that they weren't getting to use---They improved it a little so that with the stock pump you get to use exactly 4 gallons.

Kenny
when you had your pump out did you see a short piece of fuel hose on the pump? like in the middle of it somewhere? you need to disconnect that and re-route the wires that in there also and add a longer piece of fuel hose and that will get your pick-up to the bottom of your tank. wish i had a pick of it. :eek:

#23 ·
When Bartlettracing was doing these for people years ago he was cutting the metal hanger, extending it, and welding it back together.

#24 ·
^^^ Exactly. Extend the metal hanger and the fuel hose on the fuel pump the same length.

#25 ·
Well that's what I said earlier---It's all embedded in that steel frame---Anyone got an old disfunctional pump they could send me for postage---I think I have a much better and simpler way to fix it---Just don't want to mess with mine as I want to put it back together and do a little riding---Thanks

Kenny

#26 ·
I dont remember having to extend my metal bracket. 99% sure i didnt.

#27 · (Edited)
Yeah but it's that other 1% and that Citrus Juice your on:p:p

Hey 2qk--When you sold your V did you have a clutch puller left over---Seems like you keep coming up with stuff.

Kenny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.