Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing extensive reading on the UPP and MS mod intakes, and decided to try and cast a mold out of silicone so I have the advantage of a one piece MS mod without the high cost of the UPP.
I did the MS mod to a set of stockers with some 1.25"o.d.x.065 wall 6061 seamless aluminum tube, but sealed them with plumbers putty, so they could be taken apart, then taped them up and cast the outside mold.
After splitting the mold, and removing the intake, I opened one end and poured in hot wax, to get the inside casting.
I then cut the intake apart and removed the wax casting.
With a torch, and a dremel I cut all the rubber off the intake so I could re-use the stock aluminum head bung.
Then I put the aluminum bung and wax casting inside the silicone mold and poured it full of flexible Shore 60A two part urethane.
That is curing @ the moment.
I'm very excited about the outcome. I have around $70 in materials and 6 working hours in it so far....not counting cure times.
I'm probably going to break even with a set of used UPP's, but my molds will last a long time if I ever want to make more, I just need another set of stockers so I can make the wax castings, and harvest the aluminum bungs.
I was wondering if anyone else had attempted this, and what thier outcome was.
PS....I read the very long thread about how the UPP's came to be.:rolleyes:
Ed3

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Got any pics? If they are quality I'm sure you can move em..

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll post some up after I break um out....they are still curing.....I don't know about selling them....first I need to get them bolted up and tested. This is my first attempt at molding .....ANYTHING.

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
Good luck. I hope it works out for you. Are these for stock carbs or 36mm?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
very very interesting!!

right price and sure you could move quiet a few of them!!

will be watching this thread with great interest!!

....I don't know about selling them....

have this to add to the quote!!

have read that at times UPP drags its feet at supplying the intakes, have a look under interstate motorsport, and you will find the threads where availability is an issue!!

you could very well have something going there!!

good luck!!:D

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, I'm about to give up or MASH something....I've been trying for 3 hours to create a photo album so everyone can see this stuff...everytime I try and upload the pictures to the public album in my user CP I get a vBulleitn message that a security token is missing...I've pmed the admin. no one has answered yet. I pmed a couple members, maybe they will help when they get a chance. If anyone has any ideas post it here or pm me. Thanks...If this is the wrong place for this I'm sorry but I don't know what else to do. My wife creates videos and multimedia picture albums and she's stumped. My brother is a comp. programmer he says it's on vBulletins end or I don't have permission to post pictures. GETTING ANGRY!!!!
Ed3

·
Registered
445 Posts
wow, post some pics when you can

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Alright, I'm about to give up or MASH something....I've been trying for 3 hours to create a photo album so everyone can see this stuff...everytime I try and upload the pictures to the public album in my user CP I get a vBulleitn message that a security token is missing...I've pmed the admin. no one has answered yet. I pmed a couple members, maybe they will help when they get a chance. If anyone has any ideas post it here or pm me. Thanks...If this is the wrong place for this I'm sorry but I don't know what else to do. My wife creates videos and multimedia picture albums and she's stumped. My brother is a comp. programmer he says it's on vBulletins end or I don't have permission to post pictures. GETTING ANGRY!!!!
Ed3
The best way is to use photobucket

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Thank you VERY much SpeedForce and gRider for your pm's and help, OHVFORCE, My wife uses PhotoShop...she's helping me now also....it's amazing how much response you get when a 6' 325lb DOG starts barkin he's gonna start F'in $hit up:D!!!
Camo, these are stock size intakes.
SpeedForce, I will post more details on the how to for the DIYers as I work out the kinks. I think other sizes would work, once I perfect the procedure on these.
I'll have pics very soon but you're gonna be disappointed, the first run is full of bubbles and voids. I need to work that out. The only castings I've done were aluminum in oilsand...very forgiving of sloppy mold design. I'll keep at it though.
The urethane I'm using may be a little too soft...I might switch up to Shore 80A.
The molding supplys are starting to add up, I'm up to $140 and don't have a viable set yet. oh well if it was easy they would give em away in cereal boxes...Back to photoediting.
Ed3

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I'll PM you my email just in case you can't get it figured out..and I'll post em for you.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really appriciate everyone pm'ing me offering to post the pics for me if I e-mail them the pics. I want to learn how to do it though....it can't be that hard....5 guys have offered if I e-mail the pics to them. Like I said...VERY cool offer......BUT it's not going to help me next time......What format should they be in? What file size? I know you can't do a quick reply, but none of my pictures have a url or htmp. I am going for a drive.....I've locked up my BRAND NEW Acer Aspire 8930 that is supposed to be faster than greased lightening....and is an ULTRA fast gaming puter that I was told I would never need cause I don't play videogames. Now it's moving so slow DOS would eat it alive! Can you tell I'm pi$$ed??????????? Gotta take a break.........
Ed3

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
The way I post pics on here is right out of my document files from my PC, or directly from my media card when I plug it into the media card slot in the PC.
Just plug your camera or the media card into your PC. Then use the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS on this site. When you click on BROWSE, you can then click on MY COMPUTER. Then click on the media hardware you have your pics stored on "the media card or the camera that you have pluged into your PC". Once you have done it a couple times it is real easy. Some of the photo programs can cause problems when trying to do attachments.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
O.K. tried it VENFORCER's way and still got a vBulletin message: security token missing contact administration....they have yet to reply to me.......

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
dont you have to be a premium member now to post pics i may be wrong though

·
Premium Member
6,802 Posts
the pictures will have to be in jpeg format. You will have to get the url from your hosting website (photobucket, etc.) then when you are posting up the in the top of the reply box (where font, size, bold, etc.) is you will see a little camera with a picture of a palm tree in the background... you will click on that and paste the url from your picture in it and post. That is all there is to it. :tup:

Whew that was like work... time for another beer :cheers:

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pictures

I'll try again:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts