Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a new to me quad. I'll be trail riding, occasionally crossing water and playing in mud. I see a good deal on a nice Prairie 360. I'm wondering if that quad is powerful enough for me. I'm 240 lbs, not interested in setting any speed records, but don't want to get left behind in the hills. Any input from prairie 360 owners?

Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
a 360 will be fine.they have plenty of torque.down right tough.but will run about 45 top end

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have both a brute and a 360. I am always suprised at how well the 360 hold its own out on the trails. If you do mostly trail riding you will not be left behind. Only place you may be disappointed is top speed and acceleration.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
i have a 360 an a brute, the 360 will get you there, mine has never failed ,but the brute will get you there with a smile on your face , i weigh in at around 220

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
If your buddies are regularly riding at 40+ MPH, then you need something faster.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Got a p360 and a modified 650 the 650 has a lot more power between bbk and pistons and all but on trails and in mud the 360 keeps up fine. Not the speed the larger bikes have but I'm 280 and it moves me around with no problem, I highly reccomend it it's very reliable also with very few issues, I did upgrade to p650 shocks on my 360 though helps with stance

·
Registered
615 Posts
If your buddies are regularly riding at 40+ MPH, then you need something faster.

If your buddies are riding 40+ MPH then they are not trail riding at all. It will do great!! and is bullet proof!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Lots of our ATV trails are old rail road grades and back roads. If your machine only goes 45 you are not keeping up with us.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've rode a 360 in W. VA. It will do anything that the larger bikes will do other than real steep hill climbs where you have to carry alot of speed. I'm 290 and it has carried me fine. However, I enjoy my brute alot more.

·
Registered
306 Posts
as with others i have a 06 BF750 on 26" mudlite XTs and a 06 prairie 360 on 26" mudlite XTRs. i got the prairie for my GF to drive because she really didnt need the power of the v-twin. she has no problem keeping up with the heard (tho we dont haul azz everywhere). if your not looking for a super-powerful bike they are great. i have no problem riding her prairie, and sometimes do to save the gas and miles/hours on mine, nice to switch up every now and then.:D

i will say with 26" tires, you better be in low range in the deep sloppy stuff on the prairie or your getting stuck, it just wont "lite up" the tires like the big bikes to clean them out and get to pulling you through. and water wheelies are not gonna happen, lol. as others have said top speed is in the mid 40s while my BF will hit 65.

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
Lots of our ATV trails are old rail road grades and back roads. If your machine only goes 45 you are not keeping up with us.
Yup; that's our riding as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have always lives by my rule of buy the biggest made.... That goes for atv's,sleds,bikes and anything with a motor for that matter.
I have tried buying smaller sized toys and ended up selling the small one for the bigger one... Now I just buy the biggest made.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have always lives by my rule of buy the biggest made.... That goes for atv's,sleds,bikes and anything with a motor for that matter.
I have tried buying smaller sized toys and ended up selling the small one for the bigger one... Now I just buy the biggest made.
I agree..I bought a rancher 420 and thought it was the bomb, til I rode a 750 kawi V twin...well you know what happened..gave honda to wife and bought the 750...won't ever go back to a "ladies bike" again

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the 360 prarie.It can go through alot of riding and always pull through - you can also get through some tight trails where as a brute 750 may have to go around.Keep in mind though,that there are not many performance upgrades out there to get her faster - so in saying that,i would opt for a 650 prarie,700 prarie,or a 650i/750i brute.If your not woried about speed or wheelies on command,buy the 360.If you want a big quad 4x4 that feels alot like the power of a sport quad,but with 4x4,go with the v twin quads.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought my wife a 360 Prairie cuz she's a small lady and its a smaller bike. That thing rules. We affectionately named it the "Mule" as in the pack mule! We tie everything to that bike, coolers lawn chairs, picnic tables everything and it still chugs through anything in its path!

That bike wil go through mud like crazy, its light and nimble, but it ain't fast. Its unconditionally reliable and a definate workhorse.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'm about the same weight and had a rancher 350. It was fine as long as I was with other 350-400cc machines, but after a few rides with the bigger bikes, I got tired of bringing up the rear when the faster trails came up. It all depends on how you want to ride, but I think you'd be happier with a larger cc machine, I sure am.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree a smaller bike can get the job done but why buy a small one when they make a bigger one? It's always easier to back off on the throttle than always have it smashed and wanting more.
Trust me. If you buy the smaller one you will end up buying the bigger one and probably take a hit on the resale of the smaller one...

·
Registered
610 Posts
I just bought the wife a 2011 grizzly 550 EPS (awsome) we looked at all the Kawies and the Griz fit the best size wise and comfort. so find what fits you and is comfortable the larger from Quads fit most people better than the mid-size and remember "there is no replacement for cubic displacement".

·
Registered
225 Posts
I too believe in getting the biggest you can , but .............the 360 is a tough little bugger that is pretty good on gas and will go anywhere you point her (within reason!).

If you plan on riding with buddies who own bigger bored bikes in the technical stuff you will be just as fast or faster in some cases (depending on how good you get) but on more open trails you unfortunately will be in the rear! With that a 360 may be right up your ally!

So a 360 is O.K. but in this case "bigger is better" IMHO!!

Happy quad shopping!!Good luck!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts