Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ive got one of camos shortys on my bike and it never jumped out of gear with the dalton o/b but now ive gone to the polaris brown it jumps out of gear everytime i back of the throttle any ideas

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Is the shifter hitting something? Perhaps its not fully into the detent for reverse.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked,its hitn no were it goes into gear properly seems to do it when u give it a hard time then back of if u cruise around and back of it stays in gear

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
It's them blanking Canadians again trying to destroy our country one aftermarket part at a time. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
ive got one of camos shifters and no such trouble

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
No matter what shifter you have, it shouldn't be an issue unless something is hitting it and causing it to go out of gear. For a short time I used a small vice grips as a shifter when my stock shifter cables were frozen/stuck.

If you can. swap springs back, and see if the problem continues. Or loosen up the shifter bolt.. Put it in reverse, remove the shifter from the motor, and ride it and see if the problem occurs. That way you are eliminating the possible causes.

With the shorty shifter I have. I've only had it pop out of gear once from hitting the shifter with my leg. But that was from hitting a jump incorrectly. the quad and myself flopped around my leg somehow hit the shifter and put it into neutral. Which was prob a good thing..

I can't see how a spring change alone could do this though..

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I think I remember VFJ trying some stupid high stall spring. Where he was hitting the rev limiter just to move. And don't remember any mention of it jumping out of gear. I don't know if he tried reverse though..

But since the spring seems to be the only other difference here. It would be the logical thing to swap out.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Oops, wrong thread.......:lol:

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
R U sure U put the shifter back on the correct spline spot? If it were one tooth off....
the shorty wouldn't hit, but it might not be all the way in on the reverse detent.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
never done it with dalton o/b spring does it with a polaris brown whats reverse got to do with it

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I thought you meant it was jumpin out of reverse....I re read......when you said back you meant back off the throttle.....is that right?

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
It still could be one tooth off @ the spline...the mark on the shifter shaft can be tough to see, and the gap on the shifter arm is 4-6 splines wide...hard to get centered....with the harder spring the problem may have just manifested now...Just thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
doesn't matter what spline it's on, as long as the shifter isn't hitting on anything. You did remove all the stock shifter bracketry and crap.

spring should also make no difference, I run a 4000 stall in mine and never had it jump out

so maybe it is the Camo shifter, damn thing does look heavy. Of course I run the Monkey Ultimate Billet Aluminum Alloy Competition Cut Race Shifter :p:lol::lol::lol: [email protected]:p and only a few selected members get these, I don't whore my stuff out :D

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dalton o/b spring back on and it dosnt matter how much u cane it it dosnt jump outa gear

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Monkey Ultimate Billet Aluminum Alloy Competition Cut Race Shifter

:wub:

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Monkey Ultimate Billet Aluminum Alloy Competition Cut Race Shifter

I always wanted one of them there but the name is to long would never fit in my signature :lol:

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
Monk...It's fugly. :p Maybe try to put a bigger shifter knob on that thing. Surprised you can even shift it with the one on your quad. :lol:

PSI... you could try and swap the spring. If that doesn't help, I'd remover the shifter cover. There will be a ball in there which rides under a spring. That spring could be broken. But before you do that, you say it shifts well... :hmm: Can you feel reverse/neutral/forward? Is it mushy or soft when you shift or can you feel the crispness of the detents?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts