Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, gotta put you guys to work.

Dual pro circuits, K&N, 12 hole mod

Before, the bike would bog down and miss out when taking off under load from idle. I had changed the mains to 82/85 but hadn't done anything to the pilots/shims yet. I thought the problems I was having were because I hadn't done the pilots/shims. So I just polished my slides, put one shim on each needle, and put in #42 pilots.

Went for a ride and it was missing out under acceleration. No popping, just lulls and misses. Then it started dropping the rear cylinder. It would come in and out and then it went out. This was all within less than 5 minutes. I pulled the plugs and attached a picture of what they look like. The left one is the rear and the right one is the front. From what I know, the front plug looks like it should ideally. The rear one obviously is rich. The flash kinda messed it up, but the front one was a dark tan and the rear was black.

And I had a question on the plug gaps, too. They're at .028" right now. I haven't done the plug/boot mod yet but need to.

So whats going on? I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just remembered that I didn't mess w/the a/f screws after doing this. I wouldn't think it would be enough to drop a cylinder though. Should I take out the 42's (pilots) and try it then, leaving the shims in?

What do you guys run as far as shims/jets with 12 hole mod, k&n, and dual exhaust? I'm at about 700' in Indiana.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
I just remembered that I didn't mess w/the a/f screws after doing this. I wouldn't think it would be enough to drop a cylinder though.
You're right; it's not.
Go over that rear carb; it's likely something isn't right inside.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I'm going to pull it back apart tomorrow, just wanted to see if anyone had ran into this before.
How would you have solved the initial problem of it lulling and missing out from 0 to about 1/4 throttle under load (in gear)? I guess what I'm saying is; would shimming the needles and putting 42's in it be right for my setup?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Ok, I'm going to pull it back apart tomorrow, just wanted to see if anyone had ran into this before.
How would you have solved the initial problem of it lulling and missing out from 0 to about 1/4 throttle under load (in gear)? I guess what I'm saying is; would shimming the needles and putting 42's in it be right for my setup?
Shimming yes, but you shouldn't need the 42's until you do a cross over intake.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I was at like 185-190 on mine with just exhaust. Little higher than everyone it seems. But didn't need #42 pilots till crossover.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I'll pull out the 42's, clean up my 40's and put them back in. Still weird how it's running rich in just the rear cylinder and not both. I'll pull everything apart and let you guys know what I come up with. Thanks

231 Posts
I have 42's in mine...it was suggested from EHS when I put on a EHS air box cover...I have LTE duals and a twin air power kit ....I do have the rear a little rich and get a flame from time to time but it runs like the hammers of hell!!!! LOL I would rather it run a little rich then lean.
let me know how the 40s go...my front cylinder is perfect (rear a little rich) im affraid if I go back to the 40s the front will be lean
what do you guys think

how much does a cross over cost?

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
By the sounds of it when you put the carbs back together you might have pinched the rubber diaphram on the rear carb or diaphram not seated correct or has a pin hole in it. An easy way to check if its the diaphram is to swap them and see if the front cyl acts up and rear is ok after the swap.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I tore everything down. Got to thinking, too. My original problem was that I was running too lean from closed to 1/4 throttle, this IMO is all pilots. So, I took out the shims and left the 42's in and it runs better than ever now. No hesitation, misses, or backfires at all.

I'm not sure why I was running rich in just the back cylinder. I put the needles back in the right way and the only thing I could think of is if the shoulder of the rear needle got hung up on the hole in the inside of the slide, if that makes sense. The rear was running WAAAY rich after I passed 1/4 throttle. I think it was because the rear needle was sitting so high in the main and was dumping fuel in from 1/4 on.

Anyway, now I'm running 182 and 185 mains, 42 pilots and no shims and it's running great. I put new plugs in it when I fixed the jetting issue and when I pulled them they looked great, too.

roadrage- I agree with you, since I'm tuning on my own I would rather end up a little on the rich side but even with the 42's it doesn't seem to be running rich at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts