Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just picked up a 2011 Brute Force 650 from an Auction site. There are 263 hours on the machine, which I thought was pretty low? Listing stated everything functions as it should with the exception of the front brakes, which I figured can't be too hard to fix. They also mentioned that it sometimes has a slight backfire through intake at low rpms. I paid $2,650 all in including auction fee. How did I do?

What should I know about this year Brute force. Any issues to look for? Any needed improvements from stock? Qwerks? Any ideas on the backfire? Also, I really, really want to put a plow on it. I do not believe it has a winch either. I don't honestly know much about installing an atv plow but I am going to learn. Any suggestions on plow kits? Do you have to have a winch? Is there an easy way to install a winch that has a control on the handlebar of the machine if it's not wired stock from the factory? Or would it be better just to have a manual snow plow?

Thanks in Advance for giving a newb some advice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the single rear axle, would be awesome if it was independent but not a huge deal to me. I will fall in more of the utility use spectrum not riding trails at break neck speeds. It was gov't owned, so I think it was probably maintained well, just a guess, but I know a lot of the different departments have required maintenance schedules for all equipment.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'll 2nd the advice to check boots for tears or just being loose. The efi machines today all run pretty warm, thanks to an overzealous epa. Factory everything is just too lean at running temperature for emissions purposes and cook rubber parts attached to them.

Ironically, the computer then has to be set to make the machine run a bit extra rich on cold starts. I work on a lot of stuff and the efi 4 strokes have been the ones with fouled out spark plugs like the old 2 stroke days. Mainly from people just firing up, moving stuff a little and shutting it off. Spark plugs are cheap to do if you suspect the machine may not have been used hard enough to burn things clean.

Valve adjustment is always a good idea too and possibly injector cleaning if it's sat a bunch. A lot of places maintenance schedule is just fluids and filters, so don't assume valves have been checked.

Other than that simple stuff, it's a good machine and good deal. Can't seem to find anything in my area under $3k, regardless of condition lately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts