Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was gifted a KAF300A but no manual. Did get locked up brakes, flat front tire and week battery that needs to be charged every time we need to start it. Wondered if anyone has a service manual or could provide a little direction on the braking system. There was no brake fluid in reservoir, topped it off was going to bleed but think I need to rebuild the brake wheel cylinders.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
98 Posts
I've got a full service manual for the 500,520 and 550 Mules.
this is what i have, its in CD format, Amazon.com: Kawasaki Mule 500 550 Service Repair Maintenance Shop Manual 1991-2004 [CD-ROM]
Paper Manuals: mule 500 service manual | eBay
they're worth every penny!

I've been down a similar road with the wheel cylinders, there is no rebuild kit for them, only OEM ones for about $90 or there are some on ebay for about $30.
The brakes on these things are regular drum brakes all the way around, just like a car, back when i needed new ones for mine, i checked every auto parts store around here and no cylinders would fit. Also check to be sure it isn't the E-brake locking up and not the hydraulic brakes. the cables can corrode inside and will not release properly when you push the handle down, i had to wiggle and pull on them for them to release.
as far as the battery, check the battery voltage with the meter it idle it should be around 13 volts, and rise with the engine RPM's. if it doesn't. probably your voltage regulator is bad. the manual gives a test for the regulator too.
if you want me to i will be more than happy to send you pages from the CD manual, i can screen shot them and PM them to you.

brake cylinder.PNG

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had a Mule 2510 and the park brake cable seized. I would check these too, but empty master cylinder makes me think it has failed wheel cylinder(s).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a full service manual for the 500,520 and 550 Mules.
this is what i have, its in CD format, Amazon.com: Kawasaki Mule 500 550 Service Repair Maintenance Shop Manual 1991-2004 [CD-ROM]
Paper Manuals: mule 500 service manual | eBay
they're worth every penny!

I've been down a similar road with the wheel cylinders, there is no rebuild kit for them, only OEM ones for about $90 or there are some on ebay for about $30.
The brakes on these things are regular drum brakes all the way around, just like a car, back when i needed new ones for mine, i checked every auto parts store around here and no cylinders would fit. Also check to be sure it isn't the E-brake locking up and not the hydraulic brakes. the cables can corrode inside and will not release properly when you push the handle down, i had to wiggle and pull on them for them to release.
as far as the battery, check the battery voltage with the meter it idle it should be around 13 volts, and rise with the engine RPM's. if it doesn't. probably your voltage regulator is bad. the manual gives a test for the regulator too.
if you want me to i will be more than happy to send you pages from the CD manual, i can screen shot them and PM them to you.

View attachment 75818
Is there an auto-adjuster for the brake pads that can be loosened up from the backside of the brake drum? Could you copy that page in the service manual?

·
Registered
98 Posts
They do have an adjuster, the brake drum must be removed to do it, it looks like a sector gear., lug nuts are 17mm and the axle nut is 21mm
This is the most the manual mentions on brake adjusting with that particular adjuster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, my guess there is an access hole on the drum. Just got to drag it into the garage to work on it. Still a little cold out here in Oregon.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, i bet it's pretty chilly that far north!
i've never seen an access hole on mine, i've done brakes all the way around and new wheel cylinders. on the back 2 wheels on the back of the drum (where the brake line hooks) at about the 3 o'clock position there is a rubber plug, but that is just access to the pins that hold the brake shoes and all that in place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Chad, I was able to free up the front brakes by dragging with the tractor. It's in the garage now and can begin the work of getting the drums off (I did not use the brakes). So..I am hoping the drum comes off. BTW I did order the CD and should have it in a few days if Amazon is true to their delivery schedule.

·
Registered
98 Posts
occasionally i have to use a 3jaw puller to get the drum off it rusted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts