Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, first time posting here and first time ATV owner so please bear with me. Just purchased this 2005 Kawasaki prairie 360 4x4. Its in very good condition and the only issue I've found is a loud nose when I put it in gear. Either reverse or forward. My guess is that it's the belt/clutch area but don't know what's causing it. It doesn't do it while I'm riding, only at idle. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm attaching a video of what's going on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds like belt whine. Belt may be way too tight.
Could also be a bearing. Need to pull clutch cover and inspect the belt. If it’s within spec, bearings would be next. Either the clutch bearings themselves or the bearings in the case where the primary and secondary come through.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like belt whine. Belt may be way too tight.
Could also be a bearing. Need to pull clutch cover and inspect the belt. If it’s within spec, bearings would be next. Either the clutch bearings themselves or the bearings in the case where the primary and secondary come through.
It's that something that a rookie like could do or I need to have someone with experience look at it? Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
224 Posts
You can definitely pop that cover off the clutches and take a look at the belt. If it’s really tight or loose then it’s something to investigate further. Have to pull those 10mm bolts from the cover the loosen the Phillips screw from the cover exhaust boot. Just don’t turn on the ignition with the plugs unplugged or you’ll have to do a belt reset.

·
Super Moderator
12,505 Posts
Belt is too tight.
Does it try to creep ahead when you put it in gear? If it doesn't, you can just run it as is. If it creeps or you don't like the noise, then the belt tension must be adjusted.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The belt is on the tight side, but that's about where I like them. The bike is snappy at that setting (not that Kawies aren't naturally snappy bikes).
If you don't like it, loosen it a tad, or just ride it a couple hours. It'll go away eventually.

Reactions: Cgiese80

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Belt is too tight.
Does it try to creep ahead when you put it in gear? If it doesn't, you can just run it as is. If it creeps or you don't like the noise, then the belt tension must be adjusted.
Yes!!! Belt feels really tight and it does want to travel when i engage it in gear

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The belt is on the tight side, but that's about where I like them. The bike is snappy at that setting (not that Kawies aren't naturally snappy bikes).
If you don't like it, loosen it a tad, or just ride it a couple hours. It'll go away eventually.
It really is tight. It does feel snappy too. You nailed it. I bought it used and I'm pretty sure it won't go away by riding it anymore 😩

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do I loosen the belt a tad? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
How do I loosen the belt a tad? Thanks!
Take the secondary clutch off and add a thin shim between the sheaves. You can buy a clutch compressor from EPI, or make your own. Get the shims from ebay, dealer, or oem part supplier. Or you can make your own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take the secondary clutch off and add a thin shim between the sheaves. You can buy a clutch compressor from EPI, or make your own. Get the shims from ebay, dealer, or oem part supplier. Or you can make your own.
Ok, sounds good! Next step is to find out what shims and sheaver are 🤣. I bought the puller tool for the primary, do I need a different tool for the secondary as well?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Ok, sounds good! Next step is to find out what shims and sheaver are 🤣. I bought the puller tool for the primary, do I need a different tool for the secondary as well?
You'll need some way to compress the clutch. A clutch compressor will work on both the primary and the secondary.
Or you can take it to a dealer.
If that's not possible, than download the service manual for it and follow the directions step by step.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You'll need some way to compress the clutch. A clutch compressor will work on both the primary and the secondary.
Or you can take it to a dealer.
If that's not possible, than download the service manual for it and follow the directions step by step.
I'll do that, remove both clutches and take then to the dealer. It'll probably be cheaper that way uh? Should I just tell them to add a shim and check the primary? Someone mentioned that by looking at the video my shoes are shot. I got a new video BTW.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I'll do that, remove both clutches and take then to the dealer. It'll probably be cheaper that way uh? Should I just tell them to add a shim and check the primary? Someone mentioned that by looking at the video my shoes are shot. I got a new video BTW.

Clutch compressors are way cheaper than dealer hourly rates. If you've got tools and a little time, it's definitely cheaper to do this job yourself. Especially if you're going to be riding a lot.
But the shoes are a different story. The tool to change shoes is scarce. I don't even own one. One of the dealers near me doesn't even have one. You'll need to determine if the shoes are worn, then go from there.
You'll also need to trust the dealer you take it to. Crooked ones will say you need new shoes whether you do or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts