Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently picked up a 1986 kawasaki bayou 300 2x4 from my neighbor and told him I could fix it for him. It didn't run when I got it. The last time it was run was about 10 years ago. But I forgot to ask him why he put it away. So I don't know if there's anything wrong with it. He told me that the carb had some problems. I pulled the carb out and cleaned it all up and made sure everything was in working order. Then I put some high octane fuel in it and tried it, but nothing. The carb sputtered and popped a little bit but otherwise nothing. I trie putting a bit of gas in the cylinder and start it, but still nothing. When I turn it over it sounds like its starting with no spark plug in it. But there is. I think it may be the head gasket. I will check that next, but In The mean time, is there any other things you can think of tht may be wrong with it? Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did you check the actual spark at all? When stuff has been sitting for so long, sometimes electrical connections can corrode and be a pain to find.

I guess Im just having a tough time understanding if you checked for spark. If you have spark, and pour gas down the plug hole, it should fire, even with a screwed head gasket it should fire a little bit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did check for spark. And the plug works like its brand new (it gets good spark) and i tried putting some gas down the

·
Registered
120 Posts
I dont know your extent to how well you know carbs, but what I would probably suggest is take the carb out again, and clean it again. Spray into all the nooks and cranny's and ever tiny hole you see. Make sure you have clean pilot and main jets, as to me it sounds like you have some gunk plugging up a pilot jet. Wouldnt hurt to check the float height as well while your in there.

With stuff sitting that long you may actually want to get a carb rebuild kit as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have actually discovered that the valve timing is all off as well. I will have to adjust that and see if that helps. Thanks for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts