Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got this Brute and it wont start up:mad: First and only thing Ive done is buy a new battery. She hasn't been cranked on for about 2-3 years so obviously she wasn't going to start up right off the back:eek:. I'm no expert at this, I just want to know which parts usually always go bad after a couple of years of no action (hopefully not everything:cry:), spark plugs, carburetor, all that good stuff, so that I can replace what's needed to have her turn on before I have to take it into a shop if necessary:hmm:

P.S: Gas throttle is completely stuck, so maybe new throttle cable or throttle piston? I just got her so hopefully she doesn't need too much, any help?:wacko:

·
Registered
173 Posts
If your throttle wont move your carbs are probably all gummed up from the old gas. They will have to come off and be cleaned and rebuilt. Dragon fire works great and will clean all that nasty gunk out. You will want to drain that old gas out of the tank and flush it too. You can try taking out the air cleaner and screen and giving it a shot of starting fluid (either) to see if it fires first but not for long, just to see if it fires. Good luck

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Recently got this Brute and it wont start up:mad: First and only thing Ive done is buy a new battery. She hasn't been cranked on for about 2-3 years so obviously she wasn't going to start up right off the back:eek:. I'm no expert at this, I just want to know which parts usually always go bad after a couple of years of no action (hopefully not everything:cry:), spark plugs, carburetor, all that good stuff, so that I can replace what's needed to have her turn on before I have to take it into a shop if necessary:hmm:

P.S: Gas throttle is completely stuck, so maybe new throttle cable or throttle piston? I just got her so hopefully she doesn't need too much, any help?:wacko:
Whew, youll get to learn a lot about your new baby in a short amount of time. Do as stated above. Just take your time, take NO shortcuts, and you'll be ok. Good carb cleaning, two ngk cr7e plugs, and you should be ready. Throttle cable might free up with carb work, if not, hit the for sale section on here. That place is a gold mine. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Combined with everything above, I'd replace all fluids to be on the safe side and check your valves to make sure everything is position properly.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sounds like your going to really have to go through it. Before you do anything I strongly advise you get the service manual and read up on the brute. These wheelers are a blast but do take quite a bit of maintenance to keep running properly. Do a search and you'll find threads that will show you where to get a free manual. Like everyone else stated above, change all fluids, spark plugs. Adjust valves,( intakes are critical for easy starting) and make absolutely positive the carbs are thoroughly cleaned or you'll drive yourself crazy with running issues ie; crappy idle,missing,backfires,hesitates, etc... Once you get the ole girl dialed in your gonna be surprised at how much torque these things have. Good luck and above all else, the search function on here is your friend. I promise, someone has already asked any question you can come up with when it comes to the brutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts