Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, this problem im having is not the usual belt light reset procegure. I got a belt light and it came on i believe when i let off full throttle, so i took it to my local kawasaki dealer and they hit me for belt replacement and shim the clutch, even though they replaced my belt 8 months earlier and i only took the bike out twice. within 5 minutes of trying the bike out after they had it 5 weeks i got a belt light . so it went back to dealer the same day. now im told the roller pins in the clutch have a groove on them. so after another week there for the new pins i picked it up and the same thing i got a belt light and limp mode within 5 minutes of trying it out, so it went back to dealer same day.my quad is a 2006 brute force 750 with low miles/hours cant remember exactly and bike is at dealer. any help would be greatly appreciated, im losing faith in the dealer.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
yer dealer is definitely taking you for a ride...do the belt light reset for yer self and see what happens...did you at least get yer new old belt back for a spare???i have yet to come across a dealer in my area that even knows anything about adjusting the secondary for belt tightness,lol...i got over 300 hours and 300o miles on both my kawies with many mud drags and still have not replaced any pins or belts

"the reset procedure is similar to 650 700. Unplug 2 pin conector going to belt switch. Unplug black conector under seat , unplug white conector beside it ( white plug is a reset plug which has no wires conected to it from machine) Plug reset plug into black plug turn key to on , turn off. plug everything back to stock. You are done."

Wringer says:

1) remove seat, unplug black and grey 4-pin connectors
2) swap plugs, grey to black and black to grey
3) turn on ignition switch, belt light should be flashing quickly
4) disconnect 2-pin belt switch above torque converter cover, belt light should be flashing slowly
5) let flash for at least 5 seconds
6) turn off ignition switch
7) reconnect 4-pin connectors black to black and grey to grey, reconnect 2-pin belt switch
8) turn on ignition switch to confirm belt light is out

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Hello!!!!!! Ur getting screwed!!!!! Get a manual and tackle it. Sawheads info should get u fixed. by chance does the bike still run fine? It just flashes the belt light? If so u probably have came up on the 100 hr belt check function and all u needed to do was reset ur light. Best way to avoid dealer bills or what i call screwings is to educate yourself. Manuals might be expensive but there worth every penny!!!!!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Got 1800 miles on my original belt! When the light went on, i just reset it with out looking! At 2000 miles ill take a peek.. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no they did not return my old(new) belt to me on saturday 2/19 when i picked it up. as for the belt light when it comes on the bike starts back firing and will not go over 5 mph, and when i reset it it runs normal again until the belt light trips. i believe i am getting screwed also. this time on saturday when i got the big 5 minute ride out of it , i did not reset it because i wanted them to come and get it with the light on maybe to help with diagnosis. i also had to tell the tech, " did you call kawie hotline" and he said yes. i also noticed when i got the bike home on saturday there was a whine sound coming from the belt but the bike was not moving forward on its own in gear which to me meant that its not too tight i guess. I am going to get hit now with a 3rd bill to fix the same initial problem. the tech told me that he went over all the specs with the kawie hotline, but i am at a loss. please any ideas i can tell this dealer to steer them in the right direction would be appreciated.

thank you fil

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
I've seen this before. if it goes in LIMP home mode and the switch is NOT reset. it can be in the wiring harness.

The 06 has a problem in the back wiring harness going to the rectangle black box and it grounds it out.

I just replaced a wiring harness on the machine and it's fixed and running right. also no more 4x4-2x4 light. I suspected bad actuators, but they worked fine and the bike only had 600 miles on it.

thing that kicked it off for the harness was the fan would run at any given time in spurts and the headlights would flicker like they were being turned on and off 1000 times a minuite.

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will ask the tech at the dealer on tuesday when they reopen if the switch was not reset. because if so it makes sense b/c about a year and a half ago i repaired that section of harness right by the rear right side of seat. now when you say get a cdi is that with a new harness or just the cdi? And sorry to ask but whats a cdi? and do you sell it? thanks so much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they told me the switch wasnt tripped when they took the cover off at the shop but he did a reset at my house so it was able to be loaded onto the pickup. so with the reset being done isnt the belt switch going to look like it wasnt tripped since it was reset?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
no the belt switch has to be reset inside the belt cover...i would go with what john is suggesting...check yer wires

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sawhead and john i think you guys are correct, i spoke to the dealer yesterday and they said they now believe its an electrical problem, which i told them when i first brought it in but i guess they wanted to make the money on the belt, shim, and roller job first. i will keep this post updated in case someone out there is going through the same crap i am. i was actually thinking of telling them to give me half my money back and take the bike back the way it is and replace the complete harness myself. but i stupidly paid cash for the wrong diag and repair. any sudjestions would be great.

fil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sawhead i hate to sound stupid but what is a cdi and what does it do, john sudjested it but i know he will not be on here for a while due to what he is going through.
fil

·
Registered
9 Posts
the easiest way to fix it is put a dyna cdi on it it overrides the belt light its the half cob way of doing it but it will work but if u do have a problem it wont let u know either trust me

·
Registered
9 Posts
it is the ignition box raises your limit for speed and revs also other stuff dont know all the ins and outs but it will work guaranteed

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same problem w/ mine right off the showroom floor. After 3 trips to the dealer under warranty and three resets they told me there was nothing wrong with it. I gave the owner my receipt and told them I wanted my $$ back and they could have the bike( only had 30 miles on it) unless they replaced the whole clutch cover housing because it was all one unit and I was pretty sure that was the problem. They agreed and I haven't had a problem with it since. Pretty bad when you know what needs replaced and the dealer doesn't. Told them after they delivered it to me the last time I wouldn't buy another bike from them or recommend them to anyone looking for one. I have since installed a Dynatek CDI and it has been the best money spent so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well the dealer now told me that i need a main harness and they want another 600 dollars on top of the 336 i paid to have this fixed 6 weeks ago. I got fed up and told them to return my brute, which they were happy to do. so now i am out the 336 dollars and at the same point i was before all this started. so now it seems i have a choice between a main harness and a cdi and i cant make the decision b/c i would like to fix the problem instead of covering it with a cdi. they both cost the same about 200 dollars. does the cdi need the carburator to be adjusted to the new power curve b/c i dont have fuel injection? or is just plug and play? and if its just plug and play where do i buy one. i found the main harness on bike bandit.com.
i appreciate all the great input from you guys
fil

·
Registered
2 Posts
well the dealer now told me that i need a main harness and they want another 600 dollars on top of the 336 i paid to have this fixed 6 weeks ago. I got fed up and told them to return my brute, which they were happy to do. so now i am out the 336 dollars and at the same point i was before all this started. so now it seems i have a choice between a main harness and a cdi and i cant make the decision b/c i would like to fix the problem instead of covering it with a cdi. they both cost the same about 200 dollars. does the cdi need the carburator to be adjusted to the new power curve b/c i dont have fuel injection? or is just plug and play? and if its just plug and play where do i buy one. i found the main harness on bike bandit.com.
i appreciate all the great input from you guys
fil
fil44. What did you ever do about the belt light? I'm having the same problem with my 06 brute force 750. Was it the harness?

·
Registered
470 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts