Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. They are looking for help with a kawasaki brute force 750A 2007. The belt lamp on in the last few days. As far as I know, the belt has never been replaced (205 Hr. - 1920 mi) I replaced the belt (Gates) as required, and the new belt starts and squeaks as soon as I shift into gear. If you accelerate and go with it, there is no problem, but if I stop, the belt will squeak and the engine will stop. Gearshifting is also harder. Can you help me with what I can do ?? Thank you very much.

·
Super Moderator
5,384 Posts
Hi there. They are looking for help with a kawasaki brute force 750A 2007. The belt lamp on in the last few days. As far as I know, the belt has never been replaced (205 Hr. - 1920 mi) I replaced the belt (Gates) as required, and the new belt starts and squeaks as soon as I shift into gear. If you accelerate and go with it, there is no problem, but if I stop, the belt will squeak and the engine will stop. Gearshifting is also harder. Can you help me with what I can do ?? Thank you very much.
Belt deflection is incorrect..it's too tight. 22-27mm. Best cold at 23mm. And that Gates is going to last you about.. one ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. If I leave it that way, will it be better later? Or should I put the original back ?? It was original Kawasaki. Not worn, is in good condition.

·
Super Moderator
5,384 Posts
Thank you. If I leave it that way, will it be better later? Or should I put the original back ?? It was original Kawasaki. Not worn, is in good condition.
If it's pulling as much as you say it is..ie killing the engine at a stop, it will destroy the primary's spindle and the belt. Just grab the manual, some shims and get yourself a spring compressor and set it correctly. Being a Brute owner now you will need to know this basic information. And if you do not own a primary puller..better get one. Its just Brute-basic tools.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's pulling as much as you say it is..ie killing the engine at a stop, it will destroy the primary's spindle and the belt. Just grab the manual, some shims and get yourself a spring compressor and set it correctly. Being a Brute owner now you will need to know this basic information. And if you do not own a primary puller..better get one. Its just Brute-basic tools.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So can I put back the original belt and take out the shims ?? Or stay in the gates and put in shims ?? I got the atv in October last year. I don't know much about it. I'm reading and I'm interested. Sorry for the English language. Thank you very much.

·
Super Moderator
5,384 Posts
So can I put back the original belt and take out the shims ?? Or stay in the gates and put in shims ?? I got the atv in October last year. I don't know much about it. I'm reading and I'm interested. Sorry for the English language. Thank you very much.
Adjust the deflection as needed per belt. The gates sounds like it needs it. Maybe the old one didn't as it was stretched..Just measure it per the manual. Probably don't have one so...here, this link will take you to one of mine. Just download it within 48 hours. Sorry, the manual is in English.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. I don't know how you can order shims and a clutch puller to disassemble. Kawasaki is not a popular brand here. Quite rare. If I manage to get these parts, I'll put in 1-2 shims, and then it should be okay in theory.
Thanks.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ditto on the gates belts. They're garbage. I was a beta tester for the Gates belts back when I had my '02 650. First one was not bad but grenaded at about 1000kms. Put on the second one and it didn't last 60kms and grenaded too. Put on a Carlisle Kevlar (that I got for free) and that belt was bombproof. Lasted until I sold my quad, but was hard to get the proper deflection due to the design of the belt. Stock belt is still the best belt IMO. The original belt I had on my 650 was still good and was my backup belt in case I blew one. My buddy bought my 650 and he still has that belt as a backup. It's 20 years old.

I think you should put the stock belt back on and shim your secondary clutch for the proper deflection and you should be good to go. Just for your information, I have a stock belt on my '06 750, and my backup belt is also an OEM belt. I don't play with aftermarket belts anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK. Thanks. I'm just getting the right shim. I don't know about the dimensions. Know what the original dimension is in it?? (shim) one or more ??

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys. I know what to do. If I order a drive pulley puller bolt it will arrive in 2 weeks. My question is, If only the secondary clutch moves down so that the belt is on ?? And then I can do shims. I wouldn't take off the primery clutch. Its possible ?? I can't take the belt off with hand, it's so tight.

·
Super Moderator
5,384 Posts
Hi guys. I know what to do. If I order a drive pulley puller bolt it will arrive in 2 weeks. My question is, If only the secondary clutch moves down so that the belt is on ?? And then I can do shims. I wouldn't take off the primary clutch. Its possible ?? I can't take the belt off with hand, it's so tight.
Both clutches move...and it's the primary that closes to make initial belt contact. The book says to pull both to get the belt off. You can just pull the primary and ...you can remove the belt by opening the secondary manually some but you risk damaging the belt. You will be adjusting deflection..how loose the belt is so take a measurement before disassembly. You will bee that puller..and don't forget to grease the tip and threads before inserting it, and a spring compressor to take the secondary apart. You will also need a reliable way to measure the deflection. I use this straight edge, blunted object and vice grips to lock it in place before taking it to the bench for measurement with the shown caliper.

I use an EPI spring compressor but you can make one yourself with these measurements:

Now...are you sure you want to do this yourself?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have to do. I put on the new belt, and its very tight, but i dont have drive pulley puller bolt to take off the primery clutch. I just want to take off the secondary clutch only. And I'll take the belt adjustement.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts