Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was servicing my 2004 prarie 700 and I found this fuel filter beside the oil drain plug. It looks to be coolant though and I have no idea what it is?

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
It's the atmospheric check for the weep drain. The weep chamber is the gap between the oil seal and the water pump's mechanical seal on it's shaft. You will see coolant if the water pump seal goes bad or..motor oil if the oil seal goes bad coming out that device.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the atmospheric check for the weep drain. The weep chamber is the gap between the oil seal and the water pump's mechanical seal on it's shaft. You will see coolant if the water pump seal goes bad or..motor oil if the oil seal goes bad coming out that device.
So seeing coolant in it is a bad thing or is it normal? There is coolant in it but not coming out of it from what I see

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
So seeing coolant in it is a bad thing or is it normal? There is coolant in it but not coming out of it from what I see
If there's coolant in it, it means that the mechanical seal on the water pump is leaking. No, it's not normal, but it is common.
If it's just weeping out, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on it. If it starts leaving a puddle under your machine every night, then fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there's coolant in it, it means that the mechanical seal on the water pump is leaking. No, it's not normal, but it is common.
If there's a green tinge inside the bulb, it's either leaking or seeping. Guaranteed.
How much of a pain is it to change?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
How much of a pain is it to change?
It's a pain, but not expensive. Should take you about 3 to 4 hours. Hardest part is getting the old seal out without damaging that soft aluminum housing it sits in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts