Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the first time ever, my Kawie was not available to use when I needed it. It stayed home for the second half of hunting season, and my old Yamaha got to go instead. But as it turned out, the Yamaha stayed in camp more than half the time because everybody wanted me to ride their machines instead. They wanted me to give my opinions of them, and also see if I could diagnose some problems with some.
After riding a Grizzly, 3 Sportsmans, one Rubicon, one Outlander, a Pioneer, and a Prairie 650, I can safely say the best one of the bunch was the Prairie. It was the fastest around the desert trails, the most stable in the obstacles, the most "tight" and quiet, and just the most fun. Kawasaki really hit a homerun with the big vtwin Prairie. It's so much more than the sum if it's parts.
The last few weeks have reinforced my determination to get mine back up and running. I just can't find anything I like better.
As for those other machines, I honestly can't see how folks can ride those big, tall, tippy quads. They handle like crap at high speed, they feel like riding a ladder on top of a waterbed across the scary obstacles, and they really weren't all that much softer of a ride on the bumpy stuff. One of the Sportsman 700's was actually rougher riding than the P650!
And I absolutely hated having to put my foot on the brake to shift the huge tractor lever into park or high range. Polaris is still king of stupid designs in my book. Some of their engineers need to be fired. Pure and simple.
The Rubi was nice. Nothing remarkable about it, but I'd own 10 of them before I bought one Polaris.
The Grizz was smooth, tight, and a good machine, but it was even scarier on the tippy stuff than the Sportsman's were. It was a 2015 though, which almost everything wrong with that year was fixed in 2016. There was a 2019 Grizz in camp last week, but I never got a chance to ride it.
The Outlander was fun, and handled well at speed, around corners, and across the bad stuff. But it was abused, and had lots of little things that didn't work. It also had lots of rattles and squeaks.
The Rotax engines though......oh they make up for a lot of negatives! Smooth, powerful, tuned, and FEW valve adjustments necessary. How nice that would be!
As for my old Yamaha, it was a trip down memory lane. I haven't ridden it that much in 8 years. It's narrow, nimble, light, and fun. But shifting was a literal pain when my toes were frozen in the mornings, and it rode rougher than any bike in camp. 馃槃
It also developed an issue near the end. It started puking gear oil out of the rear gear case vent tube. I have no idea what that was about. It's never done that before. Gotta tear into it and see what's going on with it now.
It's always something.馃檮

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
This thing was probably the worst atv I've ever ridden. It rode rough, handled like crap, buzzed and rattled like a diamondback, had jittery engine braking, had one brake lever, and my knee kept hitting the shift lever. But probably the most annoying thing about it was the clutching. It felt like a damn jet ski off the line. Made lots of noise but didn't go forward until it "planed". I literally had to check and see if I had the park brake on. But of course, it didn't have a park brake. Just a park position, which had to be braked to shift out of!馃槃
Yeah, couldn't wait to get off this sucker.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The old Wolvy gettin' it done.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
The 650 is quite noticeably less powerful than my 700, but still brought a smile to my sunburned face.馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The lime green one was still my favorite.馃槈

Reactions: Swanny52

Registered
So, you're saying that my Freedom Machine (aka, '86 TRX200SX) has a chance... LOL

Nice write up comparing all of those quads. Good read.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
So, you're saying that my Freedom Machine (aka, '86 TRX200SX) has a chance... LOL

View attachment 75690

Nice write up comparing all of those quads. Good read.
That's a super nice vintage quad. Rare to see them in that good of shape.

I've still got my original '83 LT125. Still runs, but needs a black seat and new brakes.

Registered
Love my old-school toys. That LT is super cool. Took mine out Sat for five hours. Ran like a champ with zero issues. Zippy as hell, too.

Registered

This is an old picture with my two youngest daughters on the ex-in-laws.
I can't remember if its an 1982 or '83. They said they bought it when they first came out and they still have it at their mountain home in Idaho by Henrys Lake.
It was the first ATV I ever rode. :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter #10

This is an old picture with my two youngest daughters on the ex-in-laws.
I can't remember if its an 1982 or '83. They said they bought it when they first came out and they still have it at their mountain home in Idaho by Henrys Lake.
It was the first ATV I ever rode. :ROFLMAO:
Very nice. I want that black seat! My blue one isn't original.

Reactions: rubiranch
1 - 11 of 11 Posts