Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Kawasaki KFX 400 starts up runs for about 5 to 10 minutes then it quits wait a couple minutes starts up but it starts running real crappy. It’s got good spark and it’s getting gas. I spun the carburetor and pulled the Jets out they were all clean look good. If anyone has had this problem or someone knows the answer I would sure appreciate it thank you Dell

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You sure the fuel filter isnt plugged enough to eventually starve the carbs out? Or possibly a plugged tank vent like from one of them little mud dobber wasps??
Yes I even changed out the gas petcock to a straight on off petcock and I took the Gas cap off and still dies
Also make sure the tank vent check (Cap) is working correctly.
I even took the gas cap off and it still died

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes the fuel line will swell shut inside and look fine outside. I was thinking gas cap or fuel filter, too.
Yes that’s what I was thinking but I replaced the fuel filter the gas petcock the fuel line and it still doing the same thing. I’m thinking it might be the diaphragm in the carburetor so I’m gonna pull it out and check it

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well it may well be the carb. I had a chainsaw that did the exact same thing. Would start and run perfectly, then after 10 or 15 mins, it would lose power and die. Very difficult to restart, if at all. Let it sit for a few hours, and get completely cold, and you could do it all over again.

Carbs were pristine, but I went through it- no change. Then I thought it was a coil getting hot or a bad magneto, but didn't help. Guys were telling me I had bad rings, leaking heads, cracked block, all kinds of stuff.

After doing tons of unnecessary stuff, one guy suggested putting on a $15 carb, just for kicks. It's run flawlessly ever since. I could never find anything wrong with the old one, it looked flawless, but it was the problem.

Taught me a lesson. Carbs are cheap. Give it a shot. You never know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it may well be the carb. I had a chainsaw that did the exact same thing. Would start and run perfectly, then after 10 or 15 mins, it would lose power and die. Very difficult to restart, if at all. Let it sit for a few hours, and get completely cold, and you could do it all over again.

Carbs were pristine, but I went through it- no change. Then I thought it was a coil getting hot or a bad magneto, but didn't help. Guys were telling me I had bad rings, leaking heads, cracked block, all kinds of stuff.

After doing tons of unnecessary stuff, one guy suggested putting on a $15 carb, just for kicks. It's run flawlessly ever since. I could never find anything wrong with the old one, it looked flawless, but it was the problem.

Taught me a lesson. Carbs are cheap. Give it a shot. You never know!
Yes I was thinking the same thing just buy a cheap carburetor off of eBay. That’s what I did for a little Honda 50 I had for my grandson

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I was thinking the same thing just buy a cheap carburetor off of eBay. That’s what I did for a little Honda 50 I had for my grandson
Replace the carburetor with a Chinese carburetor That seems to take care of the problem quad is running good now without stopping so far

1 - 9 of 9 Posts