Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some shocks for my tecate and i think i have heard its possible but what i want to know is what do i have to do to put them on?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have them on mine, the shock is alot wider than the stock shock mount on the frame.

·
Registered
360 Posts
They will not fit on stock a arms. Stock shocks are 14inch and the kfx are about 16.5inch. I had dave roberts build a set of +3 a arms based for these shocks. He is also revalving them. The yfz/kfx shocks are alittle to stiff for the tecate. Also the top of the shock is too wide for the mounting brace. You either have to spread the brace or have the shock head milled down.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am not sure what size the rear shock is. It is a piggy back shock so you will have to lose your airbox. Other than that i dont know. The front shocks are also to wide at the lower end for the a arm. They are for sure not a direct replacement

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea i know its going to take some moddification but i was thinking could i just grind the shock...it shouldent hurt the structural integrity that much...what do you think?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah I would say you could either mill the head of the shock more narrow. Or split the beaces apart. Even then on stock a arms they will not fit. You would have to move the shock mounting location out further on the arm?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Yes they will be to long for stock a-arms. My a-arms are also built for these shocks like ezjman's are.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea that makes sense cause the shocks are alot longer......and if i put them in the stock location it would be like putting a lift kit on a geo metro....lol

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Yea that makes sense cause the shocks are alot longer......and if i put them in the stock location it would be like putting a lift kit on a geo metro....lol

Yes, like ezjman said, if you make a new shock mount closer to the ball joint you could make it work. If you want something closer to a direct bolt on go with blaster shocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts