Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 KFX 450r that has had a hard time starting cold ever since I got it. I had read that this was a common problem but would go away once the bike was broke in. Thinking I was just having bad luck with batteries I have been thru 3 of them. I now have three good batteries. The problem seems to be when I have it choked the starter drags really bad draining the battery almost instantly. Almost like the compression is too high for that little battery. If I push the choke in it turns over easier but wont start most of the time unless warmed up. Even with a new fully charged battery my quad wont start easliy when choked(or whatever you call it on an EFI quad). When I hit the start button it will start to turn the motor over but gets really bogged down before it can turn over a complete cycle. Another thing is that this happens about 90% of the time. Every once in awhile it will just fire right up. It seems to be the initial turn over that really kills the battery. If I hit the start button with no choke and get it turning over then pull the choke out it usally starts. This is very annoying and I can't seem to figure out the issue. Another thing worth mentioning is I was tired of this problem so I installed a kick starter. So far I haven't found anyone who is strong enough to kick start it. And ,of course, when you tell someone that they want to try it. My buddy that is 6'4" 230 pounds can't kick it. Many others have tried with no success. It will turn over but it would take a superman effort to acctually make it start with the kick starter. After trying the kick starter I know why the battery is having a hard time. The motor, for whatever reason, is extreamly hard to turn over. Once its running it runs like a dream. It's probably one of the funnest quads I've rode. No other problems except it just won't start easily. Please help... I want to keep this quad but it's annoying me to the point that I want to sell it.
Thanks for any help.

Current quads
08 KFX 450r
03 Drag Banshee
99 Banshee
03 Predator x2
Previous quads
06 Raptor
08 Brute Force

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Well I also have the same model KFX and have never had a problem with it. From what you describe it sounds as though you have a problem with the auto decomp on the cams as it should spin and fire instantly.

Another common problem that others have had is bad stock ecu's and this causes battery drain and all sorts of other weird probs......people have tried new batteries, bigger batteries and even dual batteries only to eventualy find out the prob is their ecu.

Like I said I have never had any prob with mine but plenty of others have. I can leave mine sit for months and it will fire right up but for some their batteries will drain overnight.

A few are replacing their stock ecu with the new ProCom ecu.....Its a complete replacement ecu not a piggyback modual. But if you have a fully charged new batt and have probs turning or kicking it over it sounds like something to do with the auto decomp on the cams.....have the cams ever been out? Are you the original owner? You will prob get more responces/info if you try over on kfx450hq.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted because they are a great bike and lots of fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kfx450r starting problems

First of all thank you for all the great info. I am the original owner and nothing has ever been taken apart. The only thing I have done to this quad is general maintenance and put the kick starter on. I was unaware that this quad had auto decompression. I would think that's the issue. I've even told my buddies that it seems like I need a decompression lever. I guess my question now is how do I test and fix the issue? Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
No probs I hope it helps. First thing I would do is register over at kfx450hq and then do a search for the free manual......you can download it to your pc and go from there. Theres def something not right with your bike to be doing that and it sounds to me that it is something with the decomp but I maight be wrong. I am kawboy over at kfx450hq but have not been over there in a while......dont be shy and ask the same ? over there as someone might have had the same prob and be able to help you out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was it ... I had already done what you said ...I joined three or four forums that evening. KFX450hq was the most responsive. But they all said the same thing as you. And sure enough there is a little yellow spring on the left side just under the valve cover that was broken. I'm sure that helps control the auto decomp. $4... 1hr worth of labor . Remove front plastics, gas tank and valve cover. no problem. Should have it out this weekend to test it. Make sure it runs for the whole day. Thanks again for all your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts