Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

KFX 700 starts for 3 seconds at a time

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  badasskfx 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, Thanks for checking out this thread. My belt light recently came on on my KFX 700 so I checked it and looked up how to do the reset. I didn't have access to internet where my bike was so I read it and thought I could memorize it. Of course I didn't and did it tottally wrong. I remember it saying something about the grey 4 pin connector and having to reverse it and plug them in opposite ways. So I took the grey 4 pin and turn it around and plugged it in to itself again with the opposite pins. I then realized it wasn't reseting and went back to where I had internet and checked the reset procdure again and realized I was way off.

For those that don't know the actual reset procedure here it is. (copied from ATVCONNECTION(dot)COM

Turn ignition off.

Inspect or replace belt as neccessary (P/N 99924-1315-01). You have to take the cover off and measure the deflection.

Remove Seat.

Locate the two 4 pin connectors under seat. One is black and the other is grey.

Disconnect both connectors and reconnect them to their opposite color (black to grey, grey to black).

Turn on the ignition switch.

The belt indicator light should flash.

Turn off ignition switch (note that the hour meter is reset when the key is turned on).

Disconnect the two connectors and reconnect them to their same color (black to black, grey to grey).

Turn ignition back on and confirm that the belt light is not on.
I just copied and pasted it from there site good luck

Since then I did the correct reset and the belt light is off now but it will only start up for about 3 seconds then dies. I know its not a gas issue, its definitely electrical. When it dies it won't start again until I turn the key off and back on.

Then it's the same thing, it starts fine and then dies after about 3 secs. Even if I lay on the throttle it just dies after the exact same amount of time. I'm guessing I tripped something else when plugging the grey 4 pin connectors in backwards.

Has anyone ever heard of this happenning and know how to fix it? There must be another procedure to reset it. Surely I wouldn't have fried anything just from that. I don't know much about CDI's, coils, or anything electrical for that matter or how they work so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A.J.

See less See more
#6 ·
Hey guys thanks for the helpful comments. That's what my buddy here said as well (roll over sensor) so hopefully that's it. Also (iceberg19) the instructions where correct. I just totally misread them and screwed something up. I guess i'll write them down next time instead of trying to memorize them. Thanks again.

A.J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.