Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the engine, new pistions, new rings, clean carburetor, put super gas, and i couldnt exactly align the the camshaft markings. And when i hit the throttle to the max the front of the atv doesnt even wanna do a wheelie. and i dont know why. Please help. :confused: :confused:

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
If it worked good before and you changed nothing else (jetting, etc.),
I expect that the camshaft timing is off; i.e. the front and rear cylinders are firing only 90 degrees apart.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
How does it work in the mid-range and top end?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well when it's in neutral position i hold the throttle and everything seems to be working great but when I start riding it. It doesn't have that power that it's supposed to have

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is my first ATV and I don't know what jetting is. And we put all original parts. I changed pistons and position rings. I bought them oem parts.

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
How can you disassemble/reassemble a motor and NOT know what jetting is? Kinda "cart before the horse", isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
I rebuilt the engine, new pistions, new rings, clean carburetor, put super gas, and i couldnt exactly align the the camshaft markings. And when i hit the throttle to the max the front of the atv doesnt even wanna do a wheelie. and i dont know why. Please help. :confused: :confused:
If it worked good before and you changed nothing else (jetting, etc.),
I expect that the camshaft timing is off; i.e. the front and rear cylinders are firing only 90 degrees apart.
How does it work in the mid-range and top end?
Well when it's in neutral position i hold the throttle and everything seems to be working great but when I start riding it. It doesn't have that power that it's supposed to have
What do you mean by mid-range? Like speed or power?
Right now all we know is that it won't do a wheelie and it revs up good in neutral. We need more info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When i was adjusting the cam timing before it was on one side because I couldn't get it exactly on the line and now I tried to switch it by moving the chain by one tooth and there was no difference. And maybe the carbuerator is the problem. The ATV starts up perfectly. And English isn't my first language that's why I don't know what jetting is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just did a complete engine rebuild on my 2007 Kawasaki KFX 700. Dual exhaust.
It idles and starts up perfectly, it revs up great. But when i start riding it, it has no low end power or high end power. The throttle response is slightly slow. Please Help. :mad:

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I agree with novakaw650....if your markings didnt line up (depending on where you lined them up) your timing will be "retarded"....what that means is you are either firing early or late in your timing. You can't be that far off figuring it "sounds" fine with no load but, because of the timing being off, you will have lost a lot of power which is why i agree that you need to go back and line up your cam marks perfectly. Give it a shot. Jetting could be a problem but if you aren't jetted right, i dont really see it running smoothly even without a load on it, and since you said it will throttle up in neutral with no sputters, it leaves me to believe that we are just back to your timing marks. The only thing i would suggest is when you "crack" the throttle....is there a delay, or "dead spot"?....and for a brief moment hold it wide open....if it runs with no spits or spatters then you're fine. If it jumps around at full throttle then possible jetting...but realign your cam marks first before that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know this post is years old, but did u ever found what the problem is ? Got the same issue, doesn’t backfire no smoke , starts ok, valves in specs cams are not 180 degrees out and I got no power, won’t wheelie :-/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts