Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
So maybe someone here will give answer
So I got 2005 kfx 700 with dual LTE’s ,185 and 182 jets, 12 hole mod ,stock clutch. Quad starts fine , idle fine , drive fine ( apart from loss of power ) no backfiring/sputtering/spitting what so ever, no knock in engine , no smoke
Basically my kfx won’t wheelie, doesn’t feel like it got that much power to do it ( I’ve watched loads of videos and most of Kfx’s wheelie so easy )
Though it might be an issue due to my clutches being worn out , but I have recently rebuilt them so they all good and is still the same .
I was thinking to put stock airbox on and smaller jets to see if this will help
Anyone had similar issues??
Thank you

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
555 Posts
did it wheelie b4 the clutch rebuild?
are you sure it is running on both cylinders?
how do the plugs look?
you sure the choke is not stuck on?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did it wheelie b4 the clutch rebuild?
are you sure it is running on both cylinders?
how do the plugs look?
you sure the choke is not stuck on?
I’ve only recently done choke as it was sticking, yes it is running on both cylinders, no it didn’t wheelie before clutch rebuilt - that’s why I thought fixing clutch woudl fix this

·
Registered
555 Posts
how do your spark plugs look?
air filter clean?
valves adjusted?
you can tape over the holes 1 at a time to see if it runs better or worse to approximate jetting changes.
if too rich you will loose power, no wheelies, stuck choke still.
a little rich is on the safe side.
lean is mean, but i have buried hundreds pistons over the years running on the ragged edge, bikes, cars, sleds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes air filter was washed on weekend, valves adjusted recently, I might try taping holes see if it will make any changes

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a similar issue with my KFX700 a few years ago, it seem to have a lot less power once you got on the gas. It ended up being a clogged fuel filter. Pop the seat off and look on the throttle side of the frame, it’s a small round white plastic device hooked into the fuel line.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a similar issue with my KFX700 a few years ago, it seem to have a lot less power once you got on the gas. It ended up being a clogged fuel filter. Pop the seat off and look on the throttle side of the frame, it’s a small round white plastic device hooked into the fuel line.
Filter looks clean but I will take it off and clean it up, thank you for advice

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
how do your spark plugs look?
air filter clean?
valves adjusted?
you can tape over the holes 1 at a time to see if it runs better or worse to approximate jetting changes.
if too rich you will loose power, no wheelies, stuck choke still.
a little rich is on the safe side.
lean is mean, but i have buried hundreds pistons over the years running on the ragged edge, bikes, cars, sleds.
This ^^^ Almost for sure.

Reactions: auburn6887

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Filter looks clean but I will take it off and clean it up, thank you for advice
If it is an OEM filter, you can't "clean it up". If you have not ever replaced the fuel filter, just buy a new OEM one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for not replying been busy, I’ve changed fuel filter and didn’t really make any difference even though the old one was dirty, I’ve also changed all timing chains and oil pump, thinking chains we so stretched ( they were ) that they r making timing a bit dull/ out but apart from engine running much quieter it didn’t make any performance difference
I will try taping holes see if that will make it any different, but I don’t get any backfiring while on idle/accelerating/letting off throttle so I’m not sure if that’s the problem :-/

·
Registered
555 Posts
did you do a compression test before you did the timing chains?
you will not get back firing if your rich in my experience.
not sure why you mentioned that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did you do a compression test before you did the timing chains?
you will not get back firing if your rich in my experience.
not sure why you mentioned that?
No I have not , just thought it might be worth mention this lol obviously not
I’ll try taping holes on weekend see if it will help, I’ve pulled plugs out and they looked good, also I’ve noticed the front pipe get hot really quick, doesn’t “glow” but it feels like it’s really hot ( I got dual LTE’s )

·
Registered
555 Posts
i have alien duals on one and muzzy on my other one.
try the hole taping.
write down your results as you progress.
1 hole taped no difference, 2 holes etc......
also try putting the choke on while cruising and full throttle to see a difference.
try compression test.

cost is low one these testings.

your valves clearance set correctly, i would ASSume so as you did timing chains.

good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, yeah all valves are within the specs

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried covering the holes off,covered up to 6 holes it got worst on the 6th hole run tidy with 5 holes taped, but it didn’t really make any difference, but still no power gained still can’t pop a wheelie
I don’t get it, I don’t have any backfiring, no smoke quad start good, no knocking :-/

·
Registered
555 Posts
ok
maybe untape all holes
cruise around 20-25mph and open choke see if it falls over or picks up speed.do you have a tach?
speedo?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok
maybe untape all holes
cruise around 20-25mph and open choke see if it falls over or picks up speed.do you have a tach?
speedo?
I just got speedometer doesn’t show rpm :-/
I try the choke maybe this weekend, but surly jetting can’t be that much off- will that make my kfx have like half power it meant to have ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah , that seemed little bit too rich so I’ve put 182 and 180, but had 185 f 182 r for long time, tried everything between 2 to 3 turns out on the af screws at the moment they are about 3 turns out

1 - 20 of 25 Posts