Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a crashed frame '07 V-Force that I am considering rebuilding. I have found good sources of frames and I am curious of the difficulty in swapping everything over. I am a dirt bike guy and I have torn a few bikes down to the bare frame and rebuilt those. Is there any comparison in the degree of difficulty?

If I choose not to deal of the hassle of a frame swap then a damn fine '07 KFX will show up on Ebay or in the classifieds. Other than a bent/broken frame and broken thumb throttle it is like new. Thanks for any advice that is given.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Very easy to do.

Take pictures of the wiring.. Especially the routing. That will prob be your biggest problem if anything.

Take everything off one frame, and put on the new frame. If you are doing this solo.. The Motor will be a pain. Best to remove the motor form the old frame. Then lay the new frame over the motor, bolt it in and then flip the frame upright. Poof done. :) When I did my swap over, the motor was the first thing I put in. The wiring harness/stuff was the last to be removed from the old frame, I actually took it off the old frame and put right onto the new frame, so that I wouldn't forget any of the routing. I still got a couple wires backward, but was nothing major.

Otherwise its pretty easy to do. The only special tools you'd need are the socket for the swingarm I think its a 30mm or 32mm? and the allen wrench, that might be a 12mm? I forget the exact sizes, but I remember I had to buy those 2 items from sears, otherwise the regular tool sets have everything you need.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Very easy to do.

Take pictures of the wiring.. Especially the routing. That will prob be your biggest problem if anything.

Take everything off one frame, and put on the new frame. If you are doing this solo.. The Motor will be a pain. Best to remove the motor form the old frame. Then lay the new frame over the motor, bolt it in and then flip the frame upright. Poof done. :) When I did my swap over, the motor was the first thing I put in. The wiring harness/stuff was the last to be removed from the old frame, I actually took it off the old frame and put right onto the new frame, so that I wouldn't forget any of the routing. I still got a couple wires backward, but was nothing major.

Otherwise its pretty easy to do. The only special tools you'd need are the socket for the swingarm I think its a 30mm or 32mm? and the allen wrench, that might be a 12mm? I forget the exact sizes, but I remember I had to buy those 2 items from sears, otherwise the regular tool sets have everything you need.
or on the 12mm allen wrench you will need you can do what i did. use a 12mm headed bolt and put to nuts on it locked together or welded together and there you go, you got a tool. i did a total ground up rebuild on mine and actually enjoyed it. went real smooth. just get a digital camera an take a lot of pics to reference off off and download the copy of the service manual. it shows you all the wiring routing also. very helpful for the restoration. you can do it man if your mechanially abilitized. "is that a word? it is now" LOL:p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts