Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 826 Posts

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick update, we have a schedual put together (pretty tight schedual) of getting the finishing touches on a bunch of 1000's and lucas motors and finishing the big cam testing between now and next Sunday.
If all that goes according to plan, we'll be back to the KFX Supercharger kit the week of the 16th. If I can get back at it early that week, we should be testing late that week, which will work out well as the 1/4 mile tracks open the 21st so we could do the some track testing that weekend.
Right now thats best case, and thats if I can stay standing for another straight couple of weeks.
Ray

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
this far of?i sold my turbo kit and want this instead but im gona need everything carbys and all basically open the box and fit it and ride can u do that

·
Premium Member
16,646 Posts
Dare I say it?????? "2 weeks"

Nope... I wont say it:p

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this far of?i sold my turbo kit and want this instead but im gona need everything carbys and all basically open the box and fit it and ride can u do that
Hi Troy, yes the kit is bolt on and go. Doesn't come with carbs but I'm sure we can get you a set.
Here's were we're at, as of this spring our supercharger design works awesome up to 240HP, much more then 240HP and we had a durabilty issue. We made change to two parts in the design (either one should fix the higher HP problem) but we changed both parts to be sure that we can run up to the 400HP range. The two parts that we changed were two parts that we couldn't make in house at that time. So while waiting for those parts to be made, any extra time I had went in to finishing our original supercharger design, which is COMPLETEY different then anything else out there and SHOULD be even better. So right now, I have to machine a couple kits worth of parts of the NEW system, it could be perfect right out of the box or it could need YEARS more developement. If it's perfect out of the box great, if not then we go back to new upgraded -12 system.
The delay has been the camshafts, up untill a few weeks ago, I was working 7 days a week 12-18 hours a day on camshafts. After all, superchargers are not much good without camshafts to go with them.
Now that cam development is done, I haven't been able to get away from the phone. In the last 3 weeks, I have done 9 sets of big bore cylinders, a couple sets of heads and one std bore build that hasn't even been on the dyno yet. So basically I have gotten about 40 hours of work accomplished in the last 336 hours in the shop.
Right now I have one motor to go on the dyno Monday morning, then I have 11 more 1000's and 800 race motors to finish up and dyno, all are partially done but these are all $7000-$10,000 builds so there is A LOT of work in all of them.
In between that, we have a BUNCH of big bores with cylinders to ship out, I think we're at 22 or 24 sets of big bore cylinders I have to do right now.
Then I can do the final supercharger tests and decide which design we are are going to use.
So, if I do not take any calls for the next 2-3 weeks, we should be back to superchargers. Once I am back to superchargers, we'll know within a week as to which design we're putting into production, then probably another week to put the first 5 kits together and about a month to get everyone on the list shipped.
Hopefully we can keep to that schedual somewhat, any new engine builds now are being booked for spring 2012 so once these few builds are done, it's nothing but Superchargers.
Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so is my name on one of the first 5 kits?
Yes I think so, if it's not then we'll make 6, 7 or 8 or what ever kits in the first batch so you can get one of the first production shipment.
The first one of the final design that comes off the dyno is going direct to LV, then we'll put enough kits together to get everyone that got on the list first looked after.
Ray

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
Hi guys, sorry I haven't been on here in awhile, I have been CRAZY busy, just working and sleeping.
We tested Superchargers all winter again and everything is AWESOME up to 250 HP, from 250-300HP we sometimes had a little issue. We have made two changes to the system, either one would fix the problem to 300-350HP but we did both to , hopfully ensure, we will be good to 400+HP. The new compressor wheels and shafts could be here the end of this week but maybe not until next week.
Once the new parts are here, we need a couple days of testing and we will either have a 400+HP system ready to go or we will release a 300, 325, 350HP (or what ever is bullet proof now) system and send upgrade's once the 400+HP system is bullet proof.
The rest of this week I will be doing more cams and getting a bunch of 1000 and 800 race motors finished so I won't be coming to the phone.
Thank you all for understanding.
Ray
pretty much what you said 4 1/2 months ago

you make my head hurt
what cams did you do all this testing with the 300, 325 350 hp motors, obviously not your own special ones....surely not WEB cams

all those 1000 and 800 cc motors still being finished :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi guys, sorry I haven't been on here in awhile, I have been CRAZY busy, just working and sleeping.
We tested Superchargers all winter again and everything is AWESOME up to 250 HP, from 250-300HP we sometimes had a little issue. We have made two changes to the system, either one would fix the problem to 300-350HP but we did both to , hopfully ensure, we will be good to 400+HP. The new compressor wheels and shafts could be here the end of this week but maybe not until next week.
Once the new parts are here, we need a couple days of testing and we will either have a 400+HP system ready to go or we will release a 300, 325, 350HP (or what ever is bullet proof now) system and send upgrade's once the 400+HP system is bullet proof.
The rest of this week I will be doing more cams and getting a bunch of 1000 and 800 race motors finished so I won't be coming to the phone.
Ray

you make my head hurt
what cams did you do all this testing with the 300, 325 350 hp motors, obviously not your own special ones....surely not WEB cams

Unfortunatley we couldn't finish any of those motors without camshafts and I wouldn't send any of them out with cams that I wasn't 100% sure of. Even if it meant everyone of those $80,000 worth of engines customers cancelled, I still wouldn't ship engines with parts that I knew would fail. These customers are paying for the best and now they cam have it.
We have done 99% of the supercharger testing on sleds as we can run the hell out of 400+ HP sleds, hell my new pro mod sled will be over 800HP, but we just can't run a 400HP ATV for more then 1/4 mile at a time here other then on the dyno.
ONE of our supercharger test sleds has over 32,000 KM on it and we have 3 of them. Imagine trying to put that on an ATV 1/4 mile at a time.

By the way Tom, there is only so much I can do, If we could make 48 hour days and 14 day weeks it would be much better.
We're also build two new race tracks, both 2400ft long and have $5000 a day worth of equipment working there and I have been on site a total of 6 times in the last 2 months for a total of about 8 hours.
So yes, things are a bit hecktick here.
Ray

·
Registered
871 Posts
Ray

you make my head hurt

:lol::lol::lol:, I cant stop laughing....nothing like a few more weeks....:lol::lol::lol:....Im in line, :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We're also build two new race tracks, both 2400ft long
Ray

dirt drag tracks? :eek: out by the old shop?
Hey Kurt yes, across the road, about 1/2 mile behind the old 300ft test track.
Here's a couple pictures, one side is a 2400 ft long pond for Ice drags, the other side is a 2500ft long grass track with clay launch pad.
We're putting sand in 1200ft of the ice track/pond and dirt/clay in the other half. It will be dry from May to Nov approx.
Then we can run sand or dirt ATV and Truck races.
Here's a couple pics.
Ray

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
awsome, i cant wait! so will there be timers? will it be ready this year for any dirt drags? or will i have to stud the DS to run with the sleds :D oh by the way, there are drags at the pictou x saturday AM i believe, if you have anything to run bring it up.. i forgot all about them so im far from ready for them but the cheetah banshee i work on will be there..

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
awsome, i cant wait! so will there be timers? will it be ready this year for any dirt drags? or will i have to stud the DS to run with the sleds :D oh by the way, there are drags at the pictou x saturday AM i believe, if you have anything to run bring it up.. i forgot all about them so im far from ready for them but the cheetah banshee i work on will be there..
Yes, full timers/pro tree's on all 4 lanes, yes both tracks are 4 lanes wide.
We won't be having any ATV drags this year, we're hoping to get two or three sled grass drags in, in later Oct and Nov and that's if we can stick to the plan of having the grass track roughed, topsoil/clay mix screened and graded and hydro seeded a week from this Monday. Then while the grass is growing, we can finish the full clay pad for the first 200ft.

Then it will be ice and snow drags all winter. They hit the 1800ft mark with the ice track today and we had the laser on it and all is with in 2ft, so we have another 200ft to go (plus the extra 400ft run off) and some fine tuning to get with in 6" over the 2000ft.
Ray

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
We won't be having any ATV drags this year, we're hoping to get two or three sled grass drags in, in later Oct and Nov and that's if we can stick to the plan of having the grass track roughed, topsoil/clay mix screened and graded and hydro seeded a week from this Monday. Then while the grass is growing, we can finish the full clay pad for the first 200ft.

Then it will be ice and snow drags all winter. They hit the 1800ft mark with the ice track today and we had the laser on it and all is with in 2ft, so we have another 200ft to go (plus the extra 400ft run off) and some fine tuning to get with in 6" over the 2000ft.
Ray
make sure you put a new topic up when you have a date set for any of the drags, I will definitely be there. Now get some serviced campsites there and I will live there all summer :lol:

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ray
make sure you put a new topic up when you have a date set for any of the drags, I will definitely be there. Now get some serviced campsites there and I will live there all summer :lol:
We'll do. Yes camp sites, cabins, mini hotel, bar and lounge are all in the plan.
None of that will be started until next year, just trying to get racing right now.
1000ft past the start line of the track and your on the beach too, I'm having a cottage built there for myself this spring. We have a camper there now and I did manage to spend 1 weekend there this summer, maybe when the cottage is done I'll get 2 weekends a year, LOL
Ray

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Kurt, track is getting closer. The rain has killed progress for most of the last couple weeks.
Here's a couple pics I took tonight on the grass track side.

1st pic is at the 900ft mark looking back to start.
2nd is 1000ft mark looking down the track towards end, the roller and screener are parked at about the 1500FT mark.
3rd grass track pits
4th start line, clay isn't down yet in the first 300ft.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I had false hope that you were actually gonna post something about the cams. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I had false hope that you were actually gonna post something about the cams. :rolleyes:
in the supercharger thread? :confused::p

track is looking good ray, cant wait.. ive been making some progress on the DSXR since the young fella started school too, so get your ass in gear and get that super V going so i can fly past it at the 500' mark :p

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
How is your supercharger coming along Ray? I'm tired of listening to Troy whine. :lol:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
im sick of hearn myself whine im startn to nudge away at rays charger money so no doubt it will be done when im broke

1 - 20 of 826 Posts