Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 2003 kfx400 couple weeks ago and have had only problems since I bought it

when I first got it, I hadto buy a new clutch cable, I had to adjust it extremely far out to the point I needed to adjust the bar on top of transmission and still, cannot get it engage and disengage all the way. It still jumps when I put it in gear with clutch held.

I Also have issues starting and keeping it idle. To start it. Choke lever is up and I must hold wide open throttle. I tried adjusting th screw/knob to help but nothing.

When. Put the choke off, it idles extremely high and if inadjust the knob so it idles normal it dies while I ride it or if I'm coming to a stop.

I took apart the carb and fully cleansed it. And I noticed the choke cable looked pretty dirty & rusty. So I'll order a new one just to eliminate that out f my possible fixes.

It's also running on the rich side and sort of sputters just a tiny bit. My friend said to chck the fuel valve. I have it set to pri and that's how it runs I haven't moved it to anything else but 'on' to remove the fuel tank per the service manual.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i recently bought on 03 and i have a hard time getting off the thing.sounds like a problem i had and i will tell you it will allways run like crap in PRI postion i found the vacume line from the pitcock to the carb was off replaced it and put in ON postion reset the carb and O YAA i dont even ride my 750 BF anymore well [email protected]. good luck check your carb boot when you figure it out it will be good times

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i bought a choke knob so im waiting on the results to see how this fixes it! also, is fuel suppose to pour out on the "ON" position?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no it doesnt. i have been running it on "ON" now though and it runs a little better.. im stil waiting for the choke knob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
idid notice that when im coming to a stop.. like any kind, if i roll down a hil maybe 2-5 feet and hit the front brake my bike will stall...

i still cant figure out the problem with starting with the throttle all the way pushed. ALWAYS is hard to start

·
Registered
41 Posts
do you notice any fuel coming out of the carb overflow tube sounds like an issue with float not set right sounds like its to high or your needle valve is bad the reason you have to hold the throtle all the way open is because its flooded good luck hope this helped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no fuel coming otu of the overflow tube.

i put the choke knob/pull in today. i d idnt go riding but i started it a couple times and she starts right up like normal with the choke pulled out from a cold start. started right up first press no throttle or nothin. so now to test it out and see if that was causing my idle issue..

now i just have to figure out the clutch jumping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts