Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I've recently joined the forum and wish to tap from the experience on this forum.

My challence is deciding between the KFX450R and KFX700 V-Force. The purpose of owning anyone of these ATV's is to have fun on the dunes, but also to do long distance trailing. We have the best of all worlds here in our parts of the world and we want to enjoy all equally.

I would appreciate some advice that would steer me in the correct direction.

Many Thanks

Johans

·
Registered
445 Posts
well, i am partial to the 700... no worries about finding the right gear... it was a no brainer for me, i was tired of working a manual clutch

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advice. Would you know what the estimated fuel consumption is. Maybe also average speed.

Thanks

Johans

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
It depends on how big you are also. The 700 is perfect for bigger guys. But is kind of a handful to throw around in the woods. On a stock machine your top speed is going to be in the 70-75mph area. As for fuel, the 700 likes to drink. I have no experience with the 450 so I am no help there.

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Only advantage of the 450 will be better mileage and it might not beat you up quite as bad in the rough stuff, shocks can fix that though! V wins on everything else:D

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
JMO!!

the 450 although the kawie does have reverse, is more of a race orientated machine!!
again your size will have an influence on the type of machine that will best suit you!!

when they came out here, was keen to see one and sit on it!! all couz its a kawie!!
the frame is a work of art and very impressive!!
however when I sat on the 450, was disappointed, its not as soft as the V, the seat is small and narrow, at least compared to the V!! for my big A$$
and when coming off the V, felt like was siting on a kids quad!!
if I had to get a 450, would go for the kawie,!!
just the V spoiled me!!

yes the V is a hand full, however even better when you stop, makes more people come have a look!!:lol::lol:

one cant beat the sound of a V-twin!!

again just my opinion!!:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the information. Some replies from myself.

Dr Love - I am approx 129kg, 70mph is good for me, would "like to drink" perhaps equate to appox 10km/lt???????

KFXHELLRAISER - What shocks should I consider??? Will a kidney belt have some benefit????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hello Kfxnando,

Nice seeing our neighbours here. Thanks for the advise, I think my mind is already set on the 700 V-Force, maybe I am looking for reasons not to.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
LOL!!

only after seeing your 1st post did I realize who's thread I had just ans here!!:lol:

and we actually just had a discussion, those are one of the trips that we would still like to do!!

you have some great riding areas there!! (every one elses areas always look great!!)
have read many times about the desert run, however not sure if that is the way that I would like experience it!!
we have been invited to go ride in Botswana next year, just not sure if well will be able to fit every thing in next year!!
too many plans!!

any case, for where you ride with all the sand, and your size, kfx700 IMO is the way to go!!

we also big, and the V fits me perfect!!

if you follow the links in my sig you will see some of our rides pics from well at least on the same continent!!

like said on here, the fuel consumption in the only catch!!
the V is heavy on fuel, no way around that one, there are things that can be done to improve a bit, however they stay heavy on fuel!!

the most I got on a full tank was 108km on 12L, and it was still going!!
however on sand and dunes at Sodwana bay and Mozambique, it drops right down to around 5km/L

however will live with that with the smile that I get when riding the V in those sand conditions, always in the gear and right revs!!!

self carry spare fuel all the time, all 10L of it!!
and the carrier is made in SA!!

hope this helps!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My concern wrt fuel consumption is not really because it is thirsty. I drive a Land Cruiser and I know all about 5km/L. I am more concerned over range, we are planning a quad trip of approx 2350km for May 2010. We are going from Walvis Bay to Epupa Falls and back, all of the beaten track where fuel stops are not that freely available. If you say 108km/12L, I am not to concerned as we are planning to carry approx 20L extra fuel with each quad. Giving us appox 280km range.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I say 450 but thats because that the only sport quad I own:D. But the 700 is a bad a$$ machine either stock or with mods. But if you plan on putting some mod on it the 700 might be a little bit easier for you since you can do most of the tuning yourself. Were as if you go with the 450 the fuel injection you need to have the thing dyno tuned in to make it open up. Even though power commander and other fuel map modules have downloads on their websites to kind of get you into the ball park of were your air to fuel ratio should be.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
well sounds like you also enjoy the long rides!!

here is our mad long ride!!

also posted it here on KR, just not sure where anymore!!
lost of post since then!! and a search did not help either, so here goes another link!!

Fourwheeler.biz • View topic - 654/658km 4 provinces in one day

however need to warn you that I do believe that you will manage 280km with just an extra 20l of fuel!!

self did 108km on a tank, while riding very easy, it was during a night ride, doing like 65km/h average

read on the following link the whole story of that night and the fuel issues!!

www.chatquads.co.za • View topic - Night Ride

also posted here that time, just not sure where any more!!
the pics on those links are mostly missing due to the pics having been hosted on putfile and that site now having shut down!!
however the fuel story is very evident there!!

not trying to discouraging you in any way!!
saying go for it, and have a blast, you will just need to carry extra fuel for the V, more then 20L extra, for that distance unless some of the other quads are lighter on fuel and are willing to help you out with some more fuel!!
not sure how you are carrying the fuel, however maybe find a way of carrying some extra fuel on the nerf bars or something!!
and if you encounter soft sand........................!!!
saying the above with the idea of helping make sure you dont run dry!!
is there a back up vehicle????

have read a few of those long ride stories in the local mags, will one day still do it!!!

:D:D

PS!!
the V is magic on those trips, and easier on the body then the smaller sports quads!! :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks for your advice. Would you know what the estimated fuel consumption is. Maybe also average speed.

Thanks

Johans

i haven't checked it myself, but i was told that a non big bore v can go around 50miles on a tank of fuel... thats riding fairly aggressive

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Jonny450R, thanks for your input, it makes sense to me and I think I am sold on the 700. The only remaining issues are consumption during long stable trail rides.

Kfxnando, yeah I like long distance travelling, even with my land Cruiser I like to wonder far from home. In this case travelling far from home adds a few more challenges, such as remote parts without fuel. The trail that we have planned has a bit of all terrains, dry river beds, rocky mountains, soft desert sand, hard gravel roads, mud pools and even tar road. We are not taking a backup vehicle along, it is only what you can carry that will be going along. We anticipate having a carrier made for the back end, which would allow for the carrying of 2 off 10L plastic Jerry cans, 1 on both side and a luggage bag/box in between. We will each carry a 1 man tent, sleeping bag and pre selected cooking utensils. The ATV's that will form part of the tour group are a KFX700 V-Force, KFX450R and a TRX300EX7.

I’ve read your story and enjoyed it very much, sort of motivate me to see our trip through. The areas that you’ve mentioned are all familiar to me, I grew up in Newcastle.

Many thanks for the warm welcome and advise that I’ve received thus far. I tend to agree with you, that maybe it is a better idea to take more that 20L of fuel for the 700, maybe 2 x 15L at least. The challenge is to find a container that is in all respects suitable for our application.

Darrel, thanks for the advice, I will hopefully take ownership of my new KFX700 V-Force by end November and I will then put it to test.
All this chatting brings me to a new question. What is the maximum additional weight that one can carry on a KFX700 V-Force without compromising on stability and road handling?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Code:
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Verdana]All this chatting brings me to a new question. What is the maximum additional weight that one can carry on a KFX700 V-Force without compromising on stability and road handling?[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
not sure, however even with our weight, yep, my weight is very similar to yours, as are many on here,have had no issue!! and always carry 10L spare

what may be an idea, would be to manufacture a bracket for the front as well to help keep the quad balanced, like a bracket that doubles up as a front bumper!!

the Vs like to ride with the front wheels off the ground, the more weight that is at the back the worst it will get, to the point where traction becomes an issue!!
maybe consider the front bumper/carrier concept, at least that way you will have more confidence in the quad and the way its loaded/balanced !!
just be careful not to obstruct the airflow over the radiator too much, if you go that route

am very green over your trip!!
take plenty pics, we will expect a ride report!!

what are the dates for the trip!!

:D:D

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
Johans, welcome to the forum. MY stock KFX700 got like 36 miles to a tank. The #1 upgrade for that is a modified clutch. V Force John is a sponsor on this site. He machines the primary clutch. The result is a snapier throttle response, better acceleration and improved gas milage. I have gone almost 50 miles on a tank of gas with my 730 V with a VFJ stage 3 clutch.

For the kind of cross country travels you want to do, here is a list of upgrades I would consider.

Steering stabilizer
IMS 4.6 gallon gas tank
aftermarket shocks
out-n-back rack

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kfxnando, our dates are 1 May to 24 May. I will definately look at making a front carrier as well, maybe for more fuel.

700ccMARSHMELLOW, thanks for the welcome and the sound advice, I will be speaking to the local Kawie dealers about your suggestions.

·
Registered
445 Posts
i am not sure about the weight capacity, but i do know there are some pretty big guys on this forum riding them... i am 230 myself

<~~~that was several years ago..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Suchs Darrel, thanx man I am really relief now. I thought I am the only big guy.:lol: I really can't wait for the 27th when I collect my KFX700 V-Force.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys, after long deliberation and thought on what to buy, I've finally decided to buy the KFX700 V-Force and the KFX450R. It gives me the best of both worlds. Thanks for all the inspiration and advice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts