Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day.

I've got a KLF300 (unknown year) and it has a few problems

1. The cam chain tensioner seems faulty. The rod will not go in unless i remove the retainer bearing. I've replaced the rod and retainer with genuine parts and greased them and it still won't work. Is it possible to remove the inner collar/sleeve that sits inside?

2. There was a loud knocking noise so i removed the head and dissassembled it to reveal a wrecked cam, valves and rocker arms. I bought a complete replace head for it off ebay(good working order) and the knock is still there. I started it without the cam chain tensioner(forgot i took it out - how stupid) i shut the engine off straight away though.

3. I will be re-timing it tomorrow or within the next couple of days(suspect it jumped a tooth). What do i line the mark on the sprocket upto so i know the sprockets lined up properly? Is there a mark on the engine or frame?

4. I replaced the oil and oil filter during the time i took the head off. When i had the head off, i took it to a motorcycle mechanic for a 2nd opinion and he said it may have had the wrong oil in it or it has an oil flow blockage. How does the oil get to the top end? Is there a way to clean it out?

Thats all i can think of for now. Its doing my head in! haha. Thanks:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello

I have a klf 300b that I am working on as a wee project

At the minute when I connect the battery terminals the bike sparks and tries to start even when the ignition is not on. Sometimes when it starts the starter continues to churn and churn and churn.

The switch is fine. When we disconnect the starter obviously nothing happens and when we separate what I think is a starter relay behind the battery box it does nothing either.

Can anyone shed any light on what I'm hoping is a very simple problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Flaminhomer50 - I think your starter drive gear is physically bound/stuck in the ring gear. Remove the starter, inspect, lube, and bench test it. While the starter is out, turn on the ignition and push the starter button to be sure that the solenoid (by the battery) clicks as designed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts