Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, new to the forum and looking for some advice please.

I have a 2009 650 Brute Force carby model with solid rear axle with @13,000Km on the clock. When riding along, i am getting a clunking noise from what seems to me to be underneath by my feet. Its a definite mechanical clunk that sounds expensive. I did think initially it was the primary clutch and it still may be. I removed the clutch cover and ran the engine and at idle the clutch is a bit noisy then when revs are increased and the primary clutch bites up on the belt the noise disappears. I can hear that noise as i throttle on and off and on overrun when engine speed drops, but i also am hearing an occasional heavier clunk that i am unable to generate at will, it just seems sporadic.

Is there an easy way to check the universal joints on the drive shaft to the rear axle? Is there a weak area that gives trouble in the drivetrain? I travel some rough terrain and the quad does have a hard life, though i do treat it with respect and i do not drive it hard.

I am out hunting at the weekend coming and do not want to do any damage though i will try and figure out where and when the clunk materialises and try to generate the clunk at will to help pinpoint the cause. I am unsure at the moment whether the noise is still there in 2WD as i never use 2WD

Would greatly appreciate any advice on problem areas and fixes

Stu

·
Super Moderator
12,619 Posts
Check the swingarms bearings between the swingarm and the frame. ;)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Grab the back of the rear rack and wiggle the back end of your quad side to side. If your bearings are toast, it'll clunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grab the back of the rear rack and wiggle the back end of your quad side to side. If your bearings are toast, it'll clunk.
OK, So i grabbed the rack and gave it a wiggle and it does clunk a little. I also went out for a blast and tried to pinpoint the noise, but i was unable to do so although i know now that the clunk is there in 2wd and 4wd so i have decided to pull out the swingarm and check the bearings.

I have had a look in the manual and it says to remove the rear final gear case first. Is that necessary, or can you pull the whole lot out in one piece? Are the bearings easy to replace? I plan on having a go this weekend.

Any advice appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts