Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body have a set of kx500 cases or bottom end for sale?

·
Registered
272 Posts
what year kx500 motor do you think would be best for a 500 tecate

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what year kx500 motor do you think would be best for a 500 tecate
Not real sure what would be best but I know I could make anything work. I would like to have one 95 or newer. Not real sure on parts availability on the older kx500's

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
230 Posts
There are some small differences in the 88 motor but 89 up are all almost the same. If I remember correctly the last few years they made them they changed the main bearing size. The early bikes like 85 86 and 87 were all pretty different. I know 85 and 86 had some nasty power. Pain in the ass to start too. The last time I had to start an 85 we pushed a frien that weighed about 240 down a hill in 3rd gear to get it to pop off!!! They had way higher compression in those motors.

·
Registered
780 Posts
CR500's are the same way. The early 500's, both KX and CR, were powerhouses that were continually detuned over the years.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a friend selling a mint and I mean mint!!! 1985 CR 500. He is asking $2000 but cash talks. That bike is very very fast, but I heard the best CR is an 87? Not sure if that true or not. Im pretty savy on KX stuff considering I have owned them all my life with about 10 years of working in a Kawasaki dealership.

·
Registered
272 Posts
can any of you guys tell me what year motor this is its a kx500 im putting in a tecate but not sure what year

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 15 of 15 Posts