Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been a long time Tecate fan - own two of them ('87 and '88 T4s). I've been wanting to do a KX500 swap for the longest time but have had a helluva time trying to find an engine. Seems engines and even whole bikes are few and far between in South Eastern Michigan.

So I was wondering if you happen to know of any leads on an engine or bike 88 or newer?

There are only 9 for sale on cycle trader and most are in California - didn't really want to spend money on shipping one.

Hoping to get something that at least runs for less than $1500 investment.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I know u dont want to pay shipping but check out the tecate with 500 motor on ebay. In pa looks like no reserve

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm sure he's not letting this go cheap... He's looking to get $3k locally...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
this guy only wants 2k for it in michigan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
One big issue for me on that MI Tecate is the engine is pre KIPS and I'd think that would be a must have for a swap into a quad (more low end). Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Side note what year did the KX500 start using KIPS 1990+?

Although the price is right and MI econ is HORRIBLE right now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
One big issue for me on that MI Tecate is the engine is pre KIPS and I'd think that would be a must have for a swap into a quad (more low end). Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Side note what year did the KX500 start using KIPS 1990+?

Although the price is right and MI econ is HORRIBLE right now.
This one with the 85 engine has a lot of nice parts on it I think it would make a nice one .
JP Arms, a extended axle probably a durablue, then the swinger looks like a
JP swinger I dont now if they made one for the T4 or not but it resembles the one they made for the sec. gen T3. If thats what it is, it would be quiet a collector.
the pipe looks to be a decant one also.

the one on ebay looks to have the
fMF from a 250 which canot work to well

they didn't make a bad KX 500 the pre PV motors run hard some of the draggers actually get rid of there PVs they just give it a smother power delivery Honda never did use any the only problem is parts are a little harder to come buy so run that engine intill it dies then sell it on ebay and install a newer one.
it dosnt look like a bad bike clean up some things on it and personalize it a little

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome resource - never heard of Tempest before. Thanks!

Regarding the MI T4 yes overall it appears in good shape but I was quite set on doing my own swap. Also have some good pre fab suspension engine mount designs I've done in AutoCAD. I've been thinking about this project for years and never got off my butt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts