Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. I have another strange question regarding the Lakota. I bought this used about 6 weeks ago and the day I bought it there was a slight knocking noise coming from the motor. It would speed up with the rpm, but when it gets revved pretty high it goes away, well at least I cant hear it. Anyway the guy I bought it from said that it was like that since he had it for the past 7 years. I pulled the body work off of it (that was a blast) and adjusted the exhaust valve. It made no difference in the noise and the valve was not really that far out of adjustment anyway.

Here is what I can tell you about the noise. It speeds up with the motor. If you are behind the quad it is much quieter than when in the front. My kid was riding it slowly the other day and from the side I could barely hear it but when he was coming towards me it was much louder. I put a stethoscope all over the motor while running and I can hear it to some degree everywhere, but when I put it on the exhaust pipe coming out of the head it is very loud. It doesnt seem to run bad at all, but to me it sounds bad and I dont want to hurt the motor. Could this be an exhaust gasket gone bad?

·
Registered
637 Posts
You may try a new exhaust seal.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My buddies and I all have Lakotas. I believe I've heard the noise you're referring to. The one I noticed almost sounds like a lifter tick. I've heard it coming from three out of the four of our quads and the fourth hasn't been running for the last 6 months so it may be there as well. Whatever the noise is, it's apparently not uncommon...but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not a problem. I did a little bit of searching when I first noticed it coming from mine, but once I heard it in theirs I stopped. If you succeed in locating it, please let me know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Timberwolf a lifter tick is about what it sounds like, just a little louder. Also if the engine is under load it is louder than just revving it up. If I put it in gear and hold the front brake and give it a little gas it gets louder. Again the thing seems to run fine, it just bothers me.

Tonight I am going to pull it in the garage and fix a flat tire from some trail riding over the weekend :) and I was going to pull the exhaust off and have a look at the seal or gasket where it connects to the head. I will just start it up without the exhaust on it and see what happens. Maybe that is all it is. Your comments did ease my mind a bit so thanks for that. I will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I was hoping that doing a valve adjustment would make the noise go away. It's something I've been needing to check/do anyway so I was thinking I might get lucky and kill two birds with one stone. Oh well, I still have to kill the one bird anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well hopefully I have good news, it is for me anyway. So tonight I took the exhaust off and took a look. According to the parts pictures on bikebandit.com there is supposed to be the exhaust holder, a 2 piece exhaust collar and finally a gasket that fits up inside the head. Well I have the holder, the 2 piece collar and then there was something that looked like a piece of fiberglass tape or something, and basically no gasket. So I started it up with no exhaust at all (holy crap that was loud) and obviously couldnt hear any ticking. So I put it back together without a gasket because I dont have one and tightened the nuts pretty snug. When I took it apart the top nut was pretty loose and the bottom nut was finger tight. There is still a slight hint of the noise, but nothing like it was before. I am going to order a gasket tomorrow and that should solve the problem.

If you go to the trouble of doing the valves and removing all the body work, take an extra 5 minutes and take the exhaust off and have a look. The gasket should be around $5.50

·
Registered
637 Posts
See. I told ya. Lol.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It should be a copper crush collar. It closes in on itself when the exhaust flange is tightened. I have had a few of these go bad. Usually happens when the exhaust is removed and the seal comes out and gets put back in a different position. 9 times out of 10 they stay put unless pulled out. Which is prolly what happened here.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Here's a fun fact for you. When I took my race Mojave apart for a rebuild this winter, it didn't have any gasket, copper or otherwise, with the exhaust. I never heard any funny noises and as far as I can tell, it didn't leak. Maybe I was just lucky?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as I could tell the brass gasket is totally not there. The 2 piece collar thing is there but nothing in between the pipe and the head. I havent ordered the part but will do so tomorrow or the next day. I hope this fixes the noise. Yesterday we went out riding and it definitely sounded better than last time, and I hope that after the gasket I wont hear the noise at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Good news and bad news. The good news is that the gasket came in the other day and I installed it Saturday. The bad news is that it made a little difference in the noise, but didnt totally go away. I took it apart again and put it in again to make sure that it wasnt in crooked or something. I guess that I will just run it until something breaks or the noise goes away :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts