Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I have a couple questions, any help would be great.

I have a 01 lakota which needs new shocks front and back is a good place where I can find decent shocks for this quad,

Also I need a exhuast some moron decided to drill holes in the back cover play and screw things up, I see cobra and dg exhuast on ebay. are they any good.

I should say I'm just looking to get this thing out on the trails nothing to hardcore.

I decent webpage where I can find parts cheap would also be great,
thanks in advance for your help

Woody

·
Registered
637 Posts
Greg at www.cycleworksracing.net can hook you up with most anything you need. Shocks are the same as the Mojaves' and can be found on ebay pretty reasonably. Steer clear from cobra exhaust, they are junk and get less power than stock. The DG is prolly gonna be the best you can find new. Ebay has a few. The excellerator series is the best one for the lakota. Its what I have. here is an ebay item number for one. 160384301304

·
Registered
637 Posts
Its not too bad, it is tunable

·
Registered
637 Posts
Good deal. What did you end up jetting it to?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi

I didnt re-jet, I have no idea what jets are in this thing seeing I bought it for cheap and all.

should I rejet?

I do have another question. I set the air fuel mixture to 1 3/4 to 2 turns CCW the exhuast pipe gets red while riding, is that normal with the aftermarket exhuast,

thanks in advance

·
Registered
721 Posts
That means you're running way too lean. When the engine isn't getting enough fuel it runs hotter. If you run it that way for too long you could end up doing damage to your piston.

An after market exhaust reduces the back pressure and allows the engine to push the exhaust out more easily. since less force is used to push the old air out (and since more of it actually gets out) the engine has more force available to pull in clean air (which is no longer being mixed with lingering exhaust that didn't quite leave). The added clean air means that the old jetting doesn't provide the necessary amount of fuel anymore. You will definitely want to get a bigger main jet, and you may want to get a bigger slow jet as well. Running lean on the low end will make it harder to start. While you're at it you may want to install a clamp on air filter if you don't have one. It'll reduce the intake restriction allowing even more air to come in. This means you'll have to go up another size on the jets, but if you're getting new ones because of the exhaust, there's no extra cost there. .....The main reason I mention that you might want to do this (aside from the added power) is that with the new exhaust and the stock intake, you may notice that when you back off the throttle it wants to snort and pop. The reason is that there's less restriction on the exhaust side than the intake. When you back off the throttle and the wheels begin to drive the engine, it will actually pull some exhaust back in. It's not damaging, just annoying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K thanks for the info timber,

anyone have a idea of what size jets are in the stock Keihin 32cvk carb and the size I should go upto?

I am running stock air box. I do not have a issue changing to a uni clamp on.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Stock pilot jet is 38 and main is 140, You might try a 148 main

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

thanks for the advice once again, but I have gone and placed a order for Moose racing jet kit., that should do the rick I hope,

I did open the fuel air mixture to 2.5 turns and the glowing red on the exhuast has gone away. oh well it should make a difference with the jetkit

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thats exactly where the fuel screw is supposed to be set from factory. See what it does on top wide open and then check the color of your plug.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.