Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really need help guys. We have taken the transmission cover off, gotten down to the 5 bolt pattern part. There is a bearing housing???(some call it a collar) we can not get it off to put the gasket on behind it. Anyone know how? Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've done it, let me look at the parts diagram to refresh my memory...
ok, vaguely recall it... you have to pull out the shaft coming out of the 5 bolt thing before it'll come off. its very easy to pull out. be careful, there's an o-ring on it somewhere. that's whats keeping the cover from coming off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you have to split the transmission case and pull out the shaft from inside or just remove cover and unbolt 5 hole thing. How exactly did you do it step by step please

·
Registered
721 Posts
It's a 10min job for someone who's done it before. Probably 30 for someone who hasn't. Just remove the sprocket and shifter and pull the cover off. No need to pull the engine, split the case, or anything complicated. If I recall, the hardest part was holding the shaft still to get the sprocket off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No. I have the cover off . I need to remove this last piece it has 5 holes for bolts that I have removed. It is on the put put shaft. I have to take this off then put the gasket on then bolt it back down. I can't get it off

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm guessing he hasnt pulled the shaft out yet. you cant get the cover off untill you pull it out. it just pulls right out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the actuall transmission cover off and now I need to put the gasket on but the gasket goes in behind the collar like thing that holds the shaft in. Except the collar nor shaft will pull out, it spins but won't come out. I would post picture but don't know how on this forum

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the cover off but there is a collar that has 5 bolt holes holding it in and the gasket goes on around the shaft but behind the collar and I can't get the collar off. I would post picture but don't know how

·
Registered
36 Posts
I started the "Hole in transmission cover" thread. I'm wondering where you got the gasket as I don't see it in any of the parts diagrams. The parts guy as the kawasaki dealer couldn't find it either.

Was going to use (as per the discussion in the other thread) RTV (gasket maker), as the gasket doesn't show up in any diagrams that I can find, and didn't want to take off that collar (recommendation in the other thread).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Found instructions that someone posted on another forum with regard to removing the bearing housing. Basically, the collar on the output shaft has to be removed first. Not sure what manual this came from....

"1) Remove the transmission cover. 2) Remove the collar from the countershaft. (They show using a pair of needle nose pliers and just pull it off). 3) Remove all the bolts and remove bearing housing from crankcase.

To install it says 1) Fit a new transmission cover gasket. 2) Set the bearing housing in place on the crankcase. 3) [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Install[/COLOR][/COLOR] 5 bolts and torque to 12 N-m or 106 in-lbs. 4) Install the collar by performing the following: a) Lub the oring on the countershaft. b) Set the collar on the countershaft with the chamfered side facing in toward the crankcase. c) Rotate the collar and gently push it over the oring until the collar bottoms against the bearing. 5) Install the transmission cover."

·
Registered
36 Posts
Put the ATV in gear, the collar came off by hand. Then held the output shaft in, and the bearing came off as well, by hand. Just have to clean up the gasket material and will be all ready to replace the gasket and cover. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not understanding put the atv in Gear. Check. What is the countershaft. Do you mean the output shaft this 5 bolt thing that the gasket goes on behind still hasn't came off

1 - 20 of 22 Posts