Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have had some experience with strokers on other type motors and had some questions on what builders are doing on our V-twin motors.
The first question is anyone taking stock cranks and having them welded up and offset ground to get a stroker crank, and how well do they hold up if anyone has done this.
The second question is how much can you go till you start having interference problems.
The third question is how are you making room for more for the piston travel.(Putting spacers under the cyl., moving pin in the piston, or so on.
I know that if you increase the stroke of the crank 2mm you increase the piston travel 4mm's (2mm at the top and 2mm at the bottom) So how is the builders making room for the travel.
I know in the previous strokers I have worked on you could buy after market cyl. that were taller to allow for the piston travel. Or used spacers that went under the cyl..

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,645 Posts
Give VFJ,Glenn or Ray a call,they all can answer your questions.
I've seen that info posted by all of them,but I don't remember the details.

·
Premium Member
16,645 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Glenn
Camo
RPM
Badhear
Monkey
Gauge
GNR
Kenny
Z-man
Vadar...

There are just so many strokers... this will take a while.

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main reason I want to know is that I have a crank that has had a bearing spun on it. I am planning on building a motor anyway. So I was thinking of getting the crank reground with a 2mm offset and ordering a set of pistons with the wrist pin moved up 2mm's. But at what point do you have interference problems with timing shaft. And will the standard cyl. length handle the 4mm of extra travel.

I know I could PM the builders and get these questions answered. But I thought I would ask on the Forum so I could get some feed back from some of the guys that build these motors and some feed back from some of you guys that have tried and run stroker motors.

·
Premium Member
16,645 Posts
There is just not many guys with stroker engines on this site,and most of them are not talking.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I think once you get that far into modding it becomes extremely secretive. Once you spend the kind of time and $ it takes to learn the answers to the questions you're asking, you don't give away your secrets for free. Call one of the builders on here...maybe if they know you'll be puchasing parts from them they'll have the answers you need.
Ed3

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
Well part of it I think is that most of the builders don't think its the best way to go. I talked to Ray about a stroker sometime back and he said that although the 764 is bad fast, it has to be set up absolutley perfect to run like that.

I like going fast and being first as much as the next guy, but I hate to be tuning when I want to be riding. He talked me right out of the idea.

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
...the 764 is bad fast...
Myth :D

If you are not planning on going somewhere between 900 and a 1000 cc's, why would you bother stroking it when there are pistons and cylinders available to give you the size motor you need?

·
Registered
6 Posts
...the 764 is bad fast...
Myth :D

If you are not planning on going somewhere between 900 and a 1000 cc's, why would you bother stroking it when there are pistons and cylinders available to give you the size motor you need?
I don't if this a fair comparison or not but a stroker sb chevy vs a stock stroke sbc of about the same cubes is a freakin monster. The stroker motors pull alot harder. I agree that there is no replacement for displacement but if they are close in size the stroker will kick azz. :bash:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
the real question and point i think ky is tryin to get at is this he has good cylinders no need to junk whats not junk when he can gain the cc's by stroking what is junk the crank so if he has say has a 730 and the crank goes out why not just stroke it while he fixs the screw up then you get what a 764 or some crap like that then when he junks the cylinders the can go bigger there. he just wants to make the best out of fixing something thats broke. and trust me if they are anyone on hear who doesnt care to tune on a motor ky dont.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
I know of one and seen it run, it was violent. It wasn't a run of the mill stroked motor though. Can't remember what size stroke it was but I think it was around a 930 ish or maybe 910 ish

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
also need to consider the cost involved! is the stroke better than just running a larger bore? all to be thought of. bigsexy03 has a kfx900 stroker, saw his sig the other day. pm him and see what he says. maybe able to give u some pointers

·
Premium Member
11,664 Posts
Well part of it I think is that most of the builders don't think its the best way to go. I talked to Ray about a stroker sometime back and he said that although the 764 is bad fast, it has to be set up absolutley perfect to run like that.

I like going fast and being first as much as the next guy, but I hate to be tuning when I want to be riding. He talked me right out of the idea.
He said what about what? :p

Wow, that is some list... I think some folks got confused.. there are bikes , with a stroker in them.. and then there are owners , who are strokers...:lol:

I did very little set up on the 764 ... I went out once to check my a/f.... it was pig rich, so I dropped it a few jet sizes (It was still in the 11's on my lm1) and then left it alone... other than that... that is all I did.... guess that means I set it up perfect... I did think about running the blaster 2's.. but, didn't feel like changing them so...:)

But , to answer your question about a stroker..... If you have a bad crank, no reason to pay for a stocker.. but, as far as taking a good one, and doing that to it... no real reason for it. I have a 730, 764, 800, and a ???? and I can't say that the stroker crank really made any difference at all.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
With a stroker you would have to bore the cases and stroker length is limited by your intermediate shaft, that runs throught the cases... rods might have to be reworked for clearance...

Set up right, bike with the most torque wins..

Talk to Mickey, he did mine about 6 years ago!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts