Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4X4 that I can not get out of limp mode.
So far this is what I have tried:

1. Bought/replaced CDI box.
2. Bought/replaced speed sensor.
3. Even thought this doesn’t pertain to the limp mode issue,
4. I did replace the 4x4 actuator since it had went out on me on my last trip.
5. I also had to replace the 4x4 rocker switch.

~ All the fuses check out fine.
~ Battery is fully charged.
~ All the wiring is good as far as I can see.
~ The belt cover switch is on the right position.
~ It goes into gear fine.
~ I reset the check belt light, multiple times and it still flashes and stays in limp mode still.
( the reset method I used was from the Youtube videos I found)

I am at a complete loss and don’t know what else to do. I feel like Im missing something simple.
I would appreciate any and all advice or suggestions. Maybe another process to get it out of limp mode? Is there
another area I need to focus on? Look deeper into wiring issues? Pinched wires? Bad replacement parts? I have tried everything I know to try.
I am desperate! HELP!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did you check your kebc?
One of the reasons I got the dynatec cdi was no more limp mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,599 Posts
Will it shift into 4x4? If so, it's not in limp mode.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
By "limp mode" are you saying its in real limp mode where it won't go over 15 mph and will not go into 4wd, or is it running fine but just has the 2wd/4wd flashing?

If its the latter, try unhooking your negative battery terminal for 45 seconds and then reattach. Check your positive terminal screw is tight too while you're in there....

Edit: Scratch that. I just saw I missed it's a 360. It doesn't have a gauge pod to show any flashing!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
In addition, I believe there are two different ways to reset depending on what year 360 you have - I believe my neighbors reset plugs ( black & grey plugs )were in the rear electronics tray and the belt trip switch was up at belt cover.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks you all for the help. I need to keep looking. Since now I know it may NOT be in limp mode since it does go into 4 wheel drive. Its on jack stands right now so I can't test it to see how fast its going, but when I rev it up it pops and back fires something it never did before. Possibly a carb issue so Im ripping that apart today and cleaning everything. I really appreciate the help. I am so at a loss with this and need to get it back together and finished. The year of my machine for those that asked its a 2007.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went through the whole carb, cleaned everything ( which looked good prior) and it still spits and shudders when reving it up. I have no idea what to do next. Any advise other than me pushing it over a hill? LOL

·
Super Moderator
12,599 Posts
When did this problem start? What was happening, did you make any changes, something break, etc?

·
Super Moderator
4,584 Posts
You say the belt light stays flashing even after resetting...so it's not resetting. You know switches do go bad...so check it with a tester and the connector for corrosion...and sense it is flashing and not on solid, it should be in limp mode....at least the 700+s would be.. I do believe..

·
Super Moderator
4,584 Posts
You say the belt light stays flashing after resetting....so it's not actually resetting for some reason. And as it is flashing and not on solid, you should be in limp mode..at least that's the way it is with others. So...check the switch with a tester...switches do go bad more often them people think. Also revisit the reset procedure. May be missing something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When did this problem start? What was happening, did you make any changes, something break, etc?
This all started when it wouldn't go into 4 wheel drive after a day of riding. Long story short, It turned out to be a bad acuator on the diff. During this whole time, I installed a different CDI ( which btw, was not brand new but used and working fine according to Ebay seller who swears to me it was in good perfect working condition). I also, obviously changed out the 4x4 actuator, and 4x4 switch. I thought then that perhaps it was running in limp mode, because when I rev it ( while still on jack stands) it spits and spudders at 1/2 throttle. However it does go into 4 wheel drive which is something I was told it wouldn't do if it was in limp mode. I discovered this issue, when I went to check it one more time before I started reassembling the machine from the original problem of the 4x4 actuator being replaced.. Since then, I put a new speed sensor and a tried two different batteries that were new JUST in case. Today, I took apart the carb, cleaned it with carb cleaner even though it was clean. It did not have any sediment anywhere. I also checked the vacuum piston inside the carb with a mirror while running to see if it would slide up and down, and it does. I think my next step is going to be to check the exhaust valve clearance

You say the belt light stays flashing even after resetting...so it's not resetting. You know switches do go bad...so check it with a tester and the connector for corrosion...and sense it is flashing and not on solid, it should be in limp mode....at least the 700+s would be.. I do believe..
We tested it with a OHM meeter and it checks out good. Question though, Ive read about this KEBC by pass. Would that bypass the rev limiter also?

·
Super Moderator
4,584 Posts
We tested it with a OHM meeter and it checks out good. Question though, Ive read about this KEBC by pass. Would that bypass the rev limiter also?
Nope. CDI controls that and adjusts it when there is an error code.

·
Super Moderator
12,599 Posts
So it started running rough when it wouldn't shift into 4x4, or after you installed the new actuator?

·
Super Moderator
12,599 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4X4 that I can not get out of limp mode.
So far this is what I have tried:

1. Bought/replaced CDI box.
2. Bought/replaced speed sensor.
3. Even thought this doesn’t pertain to the limp mode issue,
4. I did replace the 4x4 actuator since it had went out on me on my last trip.
5. I also had to replace the 4x4 rocker switch.

~ All the fuses check out fine.
~ Battery is fully charged.
~ All the wiring is good as far as I can see.
~ The belt cover switch is on the right position.
~ It goes into gear fine.
~ I reset the check belt light, multiple times and it still flashes and stays in limp mode still.
( the reset method I used was from the Youtube videos I found)

I am at a complete loss and don’t know what else to do. I feel like Im missing something simple.
I would appreciate any and all advice or suggestions. Maybe another process to get it out of limp mode? Is there
another area I need to focus on? Look deeper into wiring issues? Pinched wires? Bad replacement parts? I have tried everything I know to try.
I am desperate! HELP!
Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same issue

1 - 19 of 19 Posts