Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any causes for limp mode other than the belt switch? I have an 04 Prairie 700. I replaced the belt and ran a jumper wire to the belt switch any how. Reset belt light and it went away, yet the motor still act as if in limp mode. I don't think it has anything to do with the carbs. It have been in a fair amount of water in a creek. I've also replaced the battery. I have Dynatek CDI as well as the stock one. It seems the KEBC actuator is function when I turn the key on and off. If anyone has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it. The dealer suggested I replace the belt (which I did afterward) and wanted $100 for the belt, $100 to replace it, and $300 to shim sheaves if necessary which it was because I had taken them out for the old belt. I am a heavy equipment mechanic so needless to say, I did all the repairs in my shop at work for about $50. I just need a little suggestions from some one that knows more than me or that has been in my shoes. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
i thought the dyna got rid of the limp mode?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah me too. The only difference when the belt light was on was with the stock cd,i the belt light would remain on after the ignition switch was turned on. With the dynatek it flashed once then appears normal. However the engine would remain in limp mode either way. As of now, the computer has been reset and I have no lights flashing, but the engine still appears to be in limp mode..

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
i guess i would get a manual and check wires to the cdi and kebc, if you have a stock cdi use that and see if its open and get the light reset, then you can see if its the dyna giving you problems

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As of now the belt light is off and the 2wd/4wd light isn't flashing with the stock cdi connected. So everything is reset but still in limp mode. I can check my wires. The kebc actuator is functioning. I guess I'm checking with everyone to see if there's any other way it could be being thrown into limp mode other than the belt switch??

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Maybe there's an issue with the spark plugs , coils , wires , or voltage regulator . I had a 220 bayou once where the volt regulator was bad and when you read the running battery voltage , it was at 18 vdc - acted just like limp mode until you turned on the headlights for a voltage drain .

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Order of events, please.
Why did you replace the belt? What made the light come on, and did it go into limp mode at the same time? Did you do any other work at the same time? Why did you jumper out the belt switch?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brought bike into my shop to service the rear end and removed rear shock. Loaded it up and took it home and all was fine however I never goosed it in the process. It sat about a week then when I went to use it is when I noticed it seemed like it was in limp mode. Thats when I swapped back to the stock cdi to find that the belt light was one. With the dynatek it was off.
I checked belt deflection and it was loose. Removed the two shims from the sheaves and put everything back together. Researched how to reset belt light and could not get it to reset. I got frustrated and took it to the dealer which was probably a bad move.
They found the correct way to reset the belt light but said the belt was tripping the on/off switch. They recommended that I replace the belt because it was still too loose. Before I did anything I tested the old belt and did not find it to be tripping the on/off switch.
I added the spacers back in the sheaves and replaced the belt. I added the jumper to bypass the belt trip switch in case there were any reasons why it could have failed. Reset the light the way the dealer told me and light went away I thought I was out of the woods till I gave it a test fun and I was immediately bogging down at 13ish mph just like before.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Pull the air filter and make sure the carb slides are opening properly.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I don't think it is limp mode it will not do that with the dyna, it's either the carbs or water in gas most likely, like said above check to make sure slides operate correct also

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
the voltage regulator is in the back, thing with the fins, did you damage it or its wiring while messing with the shock?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont see how it would and the crabs since I made no adjustments and the weather has not drastically changed. I find it odd that the belt light was on (when I swapped to the stock cdi) and its a coincidence that I am having carb issues at the same time.

I dont believe I damaged anything with the voltage regulator. I know where you are talking about. I will inspect to see.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
voltage issues cause all sorts of weird things, if you have a bad battery or weird ground issue or anything its not uncommon to get the belt light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't say whether or not there's a bad ground somewhere but I did replace the battery. I read on other forums where a low voltage battery could cause limp mode symptoms. Everything with the voltage regulator appeared to be fine. This thing has been neck deep in a creek on several occasions, however the latest creek adventure was weeks prior to any issues..

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
i guess i would take a meter and see if you are getting the right voltages at the cdi, mud in the fuses or corrosion can mess it up too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I have somewhat of an update. I just happened to think to check the winch while I was chasing grounds. When I push the winch control button there is a click sound that I never noticed at the switchbard (relay, whatever it is called) behind the seat. It clicks as soon as I push the button in or out and clicks again when I release it. I dont recall hearing it ever before. With everything pointing toward electrical I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this.

BTW the slides in the carbs are opening properly. (for previous post)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
A diaphragm in the carb can fail any time. It will take you less then a minute to look down the carbs and see if there operating properly. Limp mode should not function with aftermarket Cdi. The winch relay will click when turning winch on and off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Neither of the carb are fluttering while idle, both are still. They open up then start to back fire. If that sounds like a carb issue to you than maybe it's the carbs. Its just ironic that they failed at the same time it went into limp mode. If it actually indeed did, but that would explain why the belt light came on.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
look in them and just slowly open the throttle are they opening?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts