Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 05 Brute Force 650 it is locked in 4wd and will not shift to 2wd. Its been this way ever since I had it. Someone please tell me how to fix this.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
see million posts about 4x4 actuator. i would take the actuator out first and see if the collar slides. does the light do anything?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is the actuator located? The switch and the screen says its in 2wd

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
The actuator is on the right side of the front differential......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took off the actuator and the rectangle piece at the end is moving with ease. I took of the round cylinder on top of the actuator and it can also move. I flipped the switch for 2wd and nothing moved at all. It seems there is no power going to it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
the bike has to be running an moveing for the actuator to engage

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
the bike has to be running an moveing for the actuator to engage

this. plus i was talking about the collar in the diff it should move back and forth easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes everything moves in the diff and I turned the bike on and nothing still happened. I'm guessing it might be the switch because it has rust all in it so I ordered a new one and hopefully it will work.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
did you move the quad, or jack it up so the wheels are all off the ground and hit the gas then hit the switch? speed has to be registered on the meter for it to try moving the actuator. (bad wheel speed circuit will not allow 4wd)

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
He said is was locked in 4wd. I believe if the quad is running,and you flip the switch to 2wd just sitting there,she should cycle to 2wd - you have to be moving to place it in 4wd.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
he said the screen says 2wd, so if it thinks its in 2wd it wont do anything, when you shift to 4wd or back. unless its moving

so if the collar will go forward, see if the 4wd disengages ( if you have it up in the air the front wheels should turn without the back ones). when my bearings where messed up in the diff it wouldnt shift out of 4wd because the actuator couldnt move the collar far enough on the shaft

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
inside the fr diff under the actuator

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is that where all the gears are located?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The actuator seems to be working and I put a new switch on it. What else could it be?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What controls the electricity going to the actuator?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
kebc actuator, speed sensor, control box, bad wireing ,or any combination of these

·
Registered
212 Posts
Make sure when you put the actuator back in the side of the diff, that the pin (that moves the small rectangular block that fits into the collar inside) is in the right position. If the switch is in 2 WD the pin should be at 9 o'clock when held in your hand with the top up, or at 12 O'clock when in 4X4. It mover clockwise to 12 for 4X4 and then back counterclockwise to 9 for 2x4 if working properly. It is easier to put the actuator back in the diff. if the pin is at 12 and the switch in 4X4. If the pin is at any other clock position, you can pop the wire connector apart, push paper clips into the red & black wire holes and connect a battery charger alligator clip to one paper clip & touch other charger clip to the other paperclip to spin the actuator until it gets to the right position. Somehow my friends had spun to 6 O'clock, which should be impossible, and would not go into 4X4. Spun the pin to the right position and worked fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts