Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys,
Im looking at possibly buying a non running 2003 Prairie 650 with 105 hours that the guy said has been sitting for over 7 years. Im sure the carbs need to be gone through, is there anything that i should worry about with the motor as to what could wreck it from sitting or cause major problems? There is alot of corosion on bolts and bar metal stuff on the bike and motor so it looks like it may have been damp where it was sitting, or maybe it was hauled in the salt before it was parked idk.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Why was it not running?

One thing for sure after sitting that long is that the seals all over the bike are suspect, as are the swingarm bearings. It's going to be a project to get her going before you even get to the carbs or engine.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yup. I'd walk away unless you get it real cheap. Not running, corrosion everywhere-------sounds like a project. I'd think a lot of the seals would be toast as well as the carb boots, cv boots, airbox seals, electrical connections----the list goes on and on. Also, if you plan on buying it, check the tires to see how weather checked they are. A good set of tires will run you big dollars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No worries guys thanks, the atv sold hours after it was listed and i didnt get a chance at it anyway. Around here in WI those Prairie 650/700s go like hot cakes and for pretty good prices to! I also have a chance at a 2008 brute force 750 EFI but ive had alot of people around here tell me to stay away from the 750 so im nervous to pull the trigger on it. I can get it for around 2500 with 1800 miles on it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Why are you worried about buying a 750? Granted, the '08's were on the learning curve of EFI but the platform is solid. I have an '06 that I beat the crap outta and it just takes it. Regular maintenance, a few quirks (like EVERY atv has), and a couple design flaws that can be repaired, but a solid machine with a buttload of power.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, i just get mixed reviews talking to locals about them and around here for every 3 for sale 1 is for sale with a blown motor. The guy selling the 08 says it spits and sputters but if you turn the off on switch when running it it runs good again? Any idea, fuel pump? He had his neighbor look at it and thought the rollover sensor was bad but wouldnt this make the bike not run at all from what i was looking at online? I just dont want to get into it if its going to be a electrical nightmare, im a Carb guy this would be my first with EFI so i dont know much.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I'd stay away from the 08.
09 is ok.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Only buy the Prairie if you can buy it cheap enough that you can fully tear down the engine for a rebuild if the crank/rods and/or the cylinders are rusty. If there are indications that it may have or have had moisture in the engine, I wouldn't pay more than $1000-$1200 for it IF the rest of it is in really nice condition.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts