Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend decided to flip my 2004 KFX 700 last night.

While he is in the hospital (he will live - nothing broken) I have been tearing and seeing what needs to be replaced.

I have not been able to find a good source for headlights and a front bumper. Found literally one bumper - Kawasaki KFX 700 DR Chrome Front Bumper — Duncan Racing - looking for other options

Headlights I have only found - 2004 Kawasaki KFX700 (KSV700-A1) OEM Parts, Cheap Cycle Parts

Putting together both headlights from there will run between 2 and 3 hundred - sounds kind of ridiculous for headlights.

Looking for any sources for headlights and a new bumper.

I probably will be looking for more parts later. So far have ordered plastic, radiator, discs, and arms. Damage did not bend the frame, but will require some heating and bending of brackets welded on to the frame - along with rewelding them back to initial strength. Damage did not go much beyond the front...though might need a new ignition (key is jammed in) and work with the left break lever - will not lock in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I have ordered - if see something else I am missing please let me know...I am only as good of a mechanic as YouTube

This is what I get to start with - note I live an hour outside of Vegas, so a dirty, dusty, quad happens just from existing in the desert, let alone riding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another question

This piece...obviously aftermarket from the previous owner. Seems to be a stabilizer of somer sort.

Right now it has play. Is this a piece I should replace? Exactly what does it do... I do not want to use deductive reasoning on what it does... just want to know. The play is about a centimeter on both ends.. Going out on a limb and saying that is useless for what this does. Flip side is that adjustments may be able to made to get it back solid....just need to understand exactly what it does so I can understand.

·
Super Moderator
12,641 Posts
Steering stabilizer, helps in really rough terrain when you hit rocks, etc,
He really did a job on it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ooops painfull to the wallet , machines can be replaced /repaired easily , flesh and bone is more difficult , hope your buddy rec overs ok , have a pair of complete headlights and mounts as i had to swap mine out for Meidle [ German ] assembles to get my KFX sorted to get past biannual inspection , originals do not have "E" numbers tho it had passed inspections previously so i had to replace the lamps and mounts [ around 400euros ] ...!!!

Postage from Spain would i think kill it ..!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
on your +2 replacement arms

ebays new policies sure made alot of us part time sellers drop our stores
do you need +2 shocks now?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am holding off on shocks right now. I am 50/50 on if the left shock shock is still good...gut says replace it, brain and eyes tell me I see no damage. One of the arms did bend around it so I will no more when I get everything apart...waiting for the person that had the wreck to get out the hospital so he can go to work fixing it :)

He actually does most of the mechanic work on my bike and quads...and cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ooops painfull to the wallet , machines can be replaced /repaired easily , flesh and bone is more difficult , hope your buddy rec overs ok , have a pair of complete headlights and mounts as i had to swap mine out for Meidle [ German ] assembles to get my KFX sorted to get past biannual inspection , originals do not have "E" numbers tho it had passed inspections previously so i had to replace the lamps and mounts [ around 400euros ] ...!!!

Postage from Spain would i think kill it ..!!
I agree...postage from Spain would hurt...find someone on a military base and they can mail it like they are mailing it from the US

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thats an idea , , any one know of a base or unit near Alicante , there is a huge mast [ tallest in the EU ] around 10 kms from me , trouble is uncle Sam gave it to the Spanish Navy for Sub monitoring in the med and the us navy pulled out a few years back .

·
Registered
612 Posts
maybe you did not understand.

the a-arms you are looking at are 2 inches longer than stock.

you should buy shocks that are 2 inches longer to match.

i do not know if the stockers will work with the longer a arms, you need to contact the a-arm manufactor

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
maybe you did not understand.

the a-arms you are looking at are 2 inches longer than stock.

you should buy shocks that are 2 inches longer to match.

i do not know if the stockers will work with the longer a arms, you need to contact the a-arm manufactor
I am realizing that I do not know much. I just recently figured out what the +2 meant - never even thought about it when I bought them originally - was just happy to find something that fits the quad.

So yes - I am starting to look at shocks. Let me know what you got. I will admit I am hitting my budget. I am already at 2 thousand.

·
Registered
612 Posts
we use elka shocks
soo worth the money

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have started looking at Elka Legacy Shocks. Further I get in further I find more. Also looking at a new frame - weirdly that is far less expensive than most everything else. I see micro cracks in the paint on the frame - while that is just paint - something had to stress it enough to crack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
we use elka shocks
soo worth the money

Nice link - that price is 50 bucks cheaper than any seller - which all sold at the same 1099 that Elko sells off their site for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found a craigslist ad with used headlights, bumper, and grab bar. Person wanted 20 bucks for it all. I took a chance and sent him a 100 to mail it to me - and actually did receive it all today.

Then I discovered the new plastic front does not have the brackets built in to install the head headlight. Now I get the opportunity to figure out how to make that work.

Always fun finding the next issue :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
So a friend decided to flip my 2004 KFX 700 last night.
While he is in the hospital (he will live - nothing broken) I have been tearing and seeing what needs to be replaced.
Hate to hear your friend ended up in the hospital but just curious; is you buddy going to pay for the damages?
Its pretty mashed up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I got a few more parts - picked up the Elko Legacy shocks...10 weeks they tell me :(

Also picked up some minor parts I did not feel like trying to bend back in place, mostly the stays that held the front plastic. Couple replacement parts for the front grill, left clutch handle assembly, and new headlight cover cases. Came to realize I never had them. Still not sure how I am going to make the headlight actually attach, but should be easier with the cover cases.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts