Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some tires to use this winter. Been looking at maxxis 4snow or ams zipper. was also wondering what would be the largest tire i could put on with out clearance issues.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I just use my trail tires for snow fun. But the stock holeshots stink..

I love my Kenda Bearclaws

25" is max and that is sometimes questionable..

I run some 24" tires for trails sometimes.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I had my orange V out in a little snow with 22" Bear Claws and it would spin like crazy. I really think anything will spin. It just depends on whether the tires keep you moving or not.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Went from stock to 24" bear claws and was plowing with my kfx. Made a huge difference over stock. Waiting to go riding now since i upped to the 25" bearclaw (its another 1-1/2" wider and have a taller tread then the 24's). I think i'll be surprising some 4x4's this year. I did have to do a little trimming to fit the 25's

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so how much would i have to trim to get them 25s to fit and where would i have toi trim cause i think ground clearance is more important than the tire. thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
You need to trim some of the tubbing behind your heel guards. The tire rubs a little at high speeds so i trimmed to make sure i wasnt rubbing at all. from the 24's to the 25's it goes to almost a mud type tire. Just did my first (snow) ride last night and loved them. Here is a pic between the 24's and the 25's. I dont know if the pic shows the difference but look at the side knobbies. the 25's are 1.5" wider and they seem to be flatter.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I just had a chance to get out in some snow yesterday with some 22" Mud Machine AT tires on my green V. They seemed to hook up better in the snow than the 22" Bear Claws on my orange V.

Another thing that will help in the snow is to add some ice screws to the tires. They will help the tires get some grip on any hard-packed snow.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
4-snows and zippers are by far the best tire you can use in the snow, on a packed down trail I find they hook up enough to push the front end. They really expand when you spin which helps in the snow. They are surprisingly durable as well, I got 3 winters out of my last set and that was with quite a bit of pavement running.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well looking cause a club i belong to does a winter ride every year and everyone rides a 4x4 so last year i had some issues with the stock tires. So just trying to figure out if i should goto a 25 of the maxxis 4 snow of zippers. Alot of the riding is on snowmobile trails that are open to atvs. There are alot of deep snow access trail where last year all i did was get hung up. So how do the zippers work in fresh powder and deeper snow.

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
4-snows and zippers only come in 22", If you are running on groomed trails they will work much better the any 25" tire.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
From my limited experience, deep snow is going to be a problem no matter what tire you're running, if the snow is deeper than your ground clearance. That's why snowmobiles have a wide track, and skis, so it floats on top with maximum traction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts