Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I've been reading kawieriders for the last few weeks, as I am now the proud owner of a 2004 KFX 700!

I got this monster on the cheap from a guy who didn't ride it as much as he had planned (quads are streetable here in SD).

So, here I am:

I trailered the quad right from this guy's front yard, where it had (obviously) been perched for the better part of two years. I was told that there was a knock in the engine, and he didn't know much more than that.

I got it to the shop, checked the oil (at the dipstick), and it was a very light brown, and smelled of both gas and antifreeze. (I read in one post that its not uncommon for a carbed motor to leak gas past the rings if there's gas in the carbs, after a period of time.)
Well, today I changed the oil and replaced the filter, replaced the gasket for the downtube to the top of the motor from the radiator, and fired her up! And yes, there is a knock. The quad has an aftermarket exhaust (and rev box), and the knock is just about as loud as it! also of note: after getting her started, I couldn't keep her started: if I wasn't fingering the throttle, she would rough idle, then die. I expected this, since its been awhile since its been started, but after about the fifth time, I called it quits.

So, to help with the diagnosis:

I had to use jumper cables from my car to the quad's battery to start it.
I added a rough approximation of Stabil to the fuel before attempting to start it.
I checked all connections, fuses, and hoses.
I changed the oil with 2 quarts of Valvoline ATV 10w40 oil.
I had to manipulate the choke trigger while holding down the "start" button and throttle in order to get it to start.
After getting it started, I had to keep on the throttle (even if only a little) to keep it running.
There was a loud, timed knocking that seemed to be coming from the top, towards the front-most cylinder (had the plastic off that covers the airbox).
The knocking didn't get any more loud under throttle, just faster.

Also of note: the oil that was drained of the motor wasnt consistent in viscosity or color: the oil at the dipstick was more of a creamed tea color, and thin; whereas the the oil at the filter was sludgy, and a darker, chocolate milk, color. Furthermore, the knocking seemed to have one point of orgin, as opposed to multiple, synchronized, knocks.

I am mechanically inclined, but this is the most advanced machine that I've worked on that hasn't been a full-fledged automobile.

Any and all suggestions will be helpful, and I can describe any leading questions that you can come up with!

Please, kawieriders, you're my only hope!

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the lengthy post!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
sounds like it spun a rod bearing and the reason it wont idle is prob because the carbs need cleaning. i would get a professional too take a look at it and confirm a bad rod bearing

·
Registered
511 Posts
I wouldn't run it anymore till its fixed

Sent from my iPhone on the toilet.

·
Registered
346 Posts
creamy looking oil or milky oil says your getting coolant in the oil. that would tel me the head gasket may be blown too

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey man my story is kind of like yours I bought a 04 V force that had a knock in the engine also. It also sounded like it was from the front cylinder and was very loud... It was a spun rod bearing. It cost me 200 some dollars at a local dealer to replace the rod and bearing. Good luck!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
If it's that loud, it's likely a rod bearing as the others have said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I figured blown gasket from the color of the oil. There's no leaks on the outside of either head, and the oil is the same color as it was when I put it in, right before I started it up and tested the quad (>30 min). Could the noise be coming from the valves? There's no oil in the coolant, either.
I forgot to mention that when the motor was running, the oil light was on. And I still can't figure out why I have to use jumper cables to start it...

What is a rough estimate of time and money to replace the bearings and possibly the rod(s)?

Thanks for your input guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts