Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am sitting here on a rainy day thinking of ways to improve the V...
Would it be possible to convert the V to a manual shift quad? I know that chain drive conversions have been done, but what about a manual tranny and chain drive? I can only imagine the fun of the big double lung with a 5 speed (with reverse of course!). Just something for you guys to discuss, I am sure that I don't have anywhere near the funds necessary to do this but the idea is intriguing....

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Anything is possible with an endless supply of funds. The V would rip if it were a chain drive and a 6 speed.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
yep any thing is posible!!

self would not change to a 5speed manual, the fun of always being in the right gear, and always at the right revs, is almost priceless!!

just me!!:D

·
Super Moderator
9,446 Posts
As interesting as that idea sounds, I think a big appeal of the Kaw. V-twins on the V and BF/Prairie is the automatic (CVT) transmission. If I was looking to buy a sport quad with manual transmission, I'd just buy a Raptor 700...much easier and cheaper than trying to convert the V to manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
The only thing that is KFX with your John, is the plastic....:p:p

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Come on at least it's got a kawi motor in it.:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I did not say it was'nt Kawie, Just not KFX:lol: I bet that thing hauls butt.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that's cheating John. And I said with reverse so it doesn't count, lol. If I were gonna do that the KTM twin would be nice....

And if we're dreamiing, how bout a removable rear subframe that would convert from IRS to SRA on a whim....

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
If you were looking to build a 5 speed v-twin an SV650 suzuki would be a great place to start. would fit in the kfx frame nicely and 80+ hp is no problem in them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey, I wonder how much bigger in physical size the SV1000 motor is than the SV650. I would be nice if it would fit without cutting any main frame rails. The one this is I still love the CVT for drag racing but the chain drive would be nice. So okay here is my dream. A KFX1000 with reverse, chain drive and turbo at a reliable 175hp, that is easily capable of low 10's in the 1/4.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
get one of those belt drive transmissions off a Chopper. You would have build a pulley that would bolt on the crank in place of the CVT. Run a belt back to the tranny just like a high end chopper. Only thing is on a chopper everything is on the left side, not sure it would work right side drive.

You'd have to extend the frame to make room though. Or chop off the un-used portion of our motor.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yeah, but I think it would be just easier to convert the 700 motor to chain drive it I find someone letting one go. Man Metal, I would so dig seeing your quad run in the 1/4 with no limiting shaft drive.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
sv1000, tl1000 or rc51 engine would be the way to go unless you had massive balls like i would n go for the vmax engine!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts