Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I read the thread on doing the valves on a kfx700..and i followed the pictures and the text to the T I thought..but a few questions because i am anal..and it seems like my bike is running louder now like the valves are too loose...
1. the picture that shows what the marks look like in the window where you unscrew the aluminum plug with a flat head..you have an upper mark and a lower mark-the lower mark being right above the F or R marks (front or rear piston)..on the case you have a rectangle cut which I supposed was represented in the picture as the little half moon knob....where should/which mark do I align before setting the valves? In what exact position if it matters?
My bike runs fine as far as I can tell, and to be quite honest maybe it seems more valve chattery because I have no faith in myself..I dunno? I will say that the bike ran fine before i did anything..but I had about 230 hours on it with no adjustments ever..so this is my first crack at a stock bike with never being touched minus oil changes and air filter/regular maintenance things..If, lets say I did everything correct..then what I found was that most the valves were tight..not loose..is this normal? Did I screw it up and maybe mushroom my valve guides by not adjusting things earlier? I am fairly mechanical with cars..but it was such a bitch getting a gauge in there because you have to bend your feeler gauges to even get them in..so now I wonder if I even did it right??? I did a .10 for intake and a .20 for exhaust..any help/advice is greatly appreciated..thanks in advance....

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
you line it up with the mark right above the F or R...it's actually a "T" meaning top

.10 and .20 is correct

it may sound louder because they have slowly gotten tighter over time and you've become accustomed to that

1 - 2 of 2 Posts