Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Bayou 250 just started having an issue with a mis at mid-full throttle. Start and idles perfect, revs just fine but when in gear and trying to go its popping and missing all over the place. Strange thing is, 2 weeks ago I was riding it and it was perfect, no issues at all. Fuel in tank is relatively new and also has Stabil in it. I checked the carb, all hose connections look good, checked throttle and choke cables, all good. Even checked electrical under seat, all good. Changed the plug for a brand new NGK, no difference. Anyone seen this or have any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pulled the carb out, was clean inside but ran some carb cleaner through everything. Problem still exists... could it be electrical? After attempting to ride some more I realize the engine miss happens around mid throttle. Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Can you rev it up in neutral? Could be losing spark at mid throttle which could be caused by alot of things, stator, coil, CDI or any of thee wires inbetween. I would take a good look for a wire that is pinched or broken

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After thinking about the issue on the way home (quad is at Moms house) I suspected a bad coil. This weekend I will test the coil, CDI, etc. Unfortunately, my Clymer manual was here at home or else I would have tested everything already. :(

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
to test a cdi the manual is going to say try a known working unit, for the stator a coil a peak voltage adaptor for you multi meter will help you out big time. Start with the simple stuff like the wiring first

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out it wasn't electrical at all. Ran some Seafoam through the intake yesterday and it runs better than new. My guess is a sticking valve due to carbon buildup? Who knows... who cares.. runs great now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts