Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 kawasaki mojave 250. I put a jet kit in the carb, k&n filter in stock box and a DG exhaust. it seemed to be running good but today when i rode it it didnt seem to have the power it usually does. i can usually go up the hills on my gravel rode in 5 gear, but today i couldn't. I just rebuilt the top end 1 month ago, so i am hoping thats not the problem. could it be the valves or does the carb. just need a simple adjustment. any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
What size jets are in there now?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a moose jet kit and i have the DJ134 in it so i guess that means the size is 134. That is what the directions in the kit said to have in it with the filter and exhaust. thanks

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Dynojet sizes are strange. From the charts I've seen, a 134DJ is equivalent to somewhere around a 145 Keihin main(stock type). If that's the case, then you are probably too rich. I think I got mine to run with the 134DJ, but had an adjustable needle that I dropped almost all the way to lean it out and it still didn't run great.

Not sure what your altitude is, but it can't be that much different than me. I have the same filter setup and a White Brothers E-series exhaust. Depending on if I run the quiet core and more or less plates in the exhaust, I run either a 138 or 140 Keihin main and it pulls great bottom to top. If you have a smaller main in the kit try that and see how it reacts.

Did you mess with the needle at all? Most Mojaves setup like yours, based on advise from CWR, run around a 138 main, stock pilot and starter jets, and a 0.5mm shim under the needle. The air/fuel screw should be set about 2.5 to 3 turns out. If that doesn't do it, there's something else wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i tried putting a dynojet 130 in it but that didnt work. When i let off the throttle to slow down it backfires bad. does that mean i am still to rich. thanks for your help Mojave Magic

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Supposedly the 130DJ is similar to 140 Keihin, so it should have run decent even if a little rich. Have you made any changes to the needle at all? In all the changes I've done on mine, it's never backfired on me. It will blubber and stumble or hesitate if not jetted right. It's possible that your float valve is hanging up and it's dumping too much fuel too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the kit came with a needle and i set it where the kit said to. it is set on the 3rd groove from the top and my fuel mixture screw is 2 turns out. If my valves need adjusted would that make me lose a noticable amount of power.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Valves shouldn't be tight enough to make a difference. It usually just doesn't like to start if they are tight. Try turning the fuel mixture screw out another 1/2 turn or so and raise the clip up a notch or two. I think I have the same type of needle in one of mine and had to raise the clip quite a bit to make it run right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the help it is finally running like a mojave is suppose to. One last question... when i let of the gas and am not moving instead of idling at first it will rev up really high then it will slowley idle back down to a normal idle. What is causeing this. I think the throttle is sticking if that is the case how do i fix it thanks.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have a can of cable lube that came with an attachment that clips over the end of the throttle cable, so you can force the lube down through it. It makes a huge difference in getting it thoroughly lubed. You'd be amazed at how much dirt blows out of the bottom of the cable.

Another thing to do is let it idle and turn the bars all the way both directions to see if the routing of the cable is to tight or something.

Could also have an air leak at the intake boot, but better to check the easier stuff that normally goes wrong first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2001 kawasaki mojave clutch and engine problems help

Hey guys whats up a little new here i got a few things wrong with my mojave 01 first of all when i rev it the rpm would go up and then all of a sudden loud fast popping sound and when i release the throttle rpm goes down and as its going down one loud pop and boom flame from exhaust. And its like im hitting a rev limiter or something if so why so quick because in 5th gear im only doing like 25-30 max. and if i wanna replace the clutch how do i do that i mean what do i have to change in specific thanks . sorry for so many questions at the same time. Thanks in advance guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts